Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small PA mixer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:06pm
A few people I know use them and they seem to do the job - and last longer than the usual Behringer cr@p.  
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by bcs bcs wrote:

Thanks guys for the feedback. I came across a Yamaha MG12/4fx mixer in pristine condition for a good price. What are your opinions on this mixer?

Mike

Replaced by MGP12X,seen (and bought) second hand for 300 notes or less, and might be more useful if it's in budget. Two Yamaha effects (REV & SPX) built in and enough eq...

I can only compare it to stuff from 20 years ago, but it doesn't appear to be missing anything fundamental, other than a few dozen channels and more aux busses. Certainly well specified for a mini mixer.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 1:20am
Just understand

Desk needs Comps, EQ, control.

Really why consider junk.

Yamaha make decent drums and amazing bass guitars, they have NEVER made a mixing desk worth a wank.

The Pmxx00 series were awefull.

The digital series just suck.

But why spend good money on a crappy  fader box when you can get a decent mixer for the same money.
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 1:00pm
Hi all

I was also looking at the XR12 lately. My biggest issue is latency if there is any. Maby getting a 5 Ghz router will improve things a lot.

Rish
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 1:10pm
I thought the Allen Heath zed 10 fx was a brilliant mixer for the price, really well made and the USB in was great because you could link it to a channel with tone controls.

I feel the fx where unusable and I sold mine almost instantly when the x air 12 was released,

Personally I have had a lot of budget mixers, for the money, the x air 12 has to be the way forward.

Kev
bcs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 2:08pm
Hi Kev

How does the X12 perform. is it user friendly, as asked above do you notice any latency?

Mike
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 2:28pm
I haven't used the internal wifi as we had more than just the berry on the show network, a cheap linksys 5Ghz router with an iPad air was fine.

kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 2:35pm
Sorry guys

I didn't understand what you meant at first.

I think this is an incredible product for the money.

It's very reliable and when you use a decent external router on 5 gig or otherwise the unit is solid.

I use a single pad for playback of tracks and control of the desk, so every few minutes I jump between the playback and the mixer app, the app connects in a fraction of a second to the router, the only issue I have ever had with this desk was at a huge outdoor gig, I walked to the very back of the audience a long way away from the router, not a great one for the environment which was surrounded by loads of tv re broadcast antenna and wi fi
antennas, I pushed the faders and they didn't move and then when I came back in range there was a huge jump in volume, this was my fault, notbthebdesks. In normal circumstances when you have a pad tied to this desk doing nothing but control, it's a doddle to use and there is no delay (if that's what you mean when you say latency) at all

I was so happy with mine I bought another, there is no going back to a basic 12 ch desk for me, having all them extra routing options and tone options and fx etc absolutely game changing,

Cheers

Kev

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 2:50pm
I agree with Kevin and Shaggers.

Analogue is just so limiting! Once you have gate/comp/4 band Para EQ/kitchen sink on every input and output, you wonder how you did it on a boring analogue with just a swept mid!

With digital, you have so much, in so little a space. Not so bothered by iPad apps, but can see the appeal of mixing whilst sat at the bar!

I am not a berry hater, amazing for money, but, mewh. Qu by A&H (Qu-SB is equivalent to X12, just more, and 4 times the price!!) is lovely. Just got myself a Qu-16 for hire, so shares my stage boxes from my GLD. Perfect little conference mixer (and cheaper than a Shure Intellimix SCM820!).
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12