Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shure slx or blx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shure slx or blx
    Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:34am
Hi guys

Hope you are all good.

I'm looking at the half rack beta 58 version of these shure systems, not the cheap plastic receiver version

There is a 300 euro difference between the pacakages, I'm wondering is it worth the extra cash for the slx?

I'm singing with tracks with my mate on guitar,
Is the price hike, build quality or juts the options to run a dozen systems in parallel or whatever ?

I would appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Kev
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 1:12pm
Hi guys while we are chatting about mics.

What are the opinions on the similarly priced shure systems that run on 2.4 gig hz

Cheers

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 18 April 2017 at 1:12pm
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 2:39pm
I run SLX, 14 ways of the blastest things! 3 racked in fours, with ADU (with cascade) and paddle aerials, and two loose flight cased for individual hire.

Perfectly good, no nonsense, and 12 concurrent (6 in ch38, 6 in *cough* Ch39), and good selection of decent capsules. Regularly used 10-12, up town, with no issues with Ch38 congestion and drop outs, but I have got the big Shure active aerials, which make a huge difference.

However SLX is on its way out, and I reckon it will be moth balled at some point soon.

QLX-D looks to be the natural succesor to SLX, up to 22 concurrent in 8MHz of bandwidth, and the usual suspects of capsules/beltpacks lapels and headsets.

Li-ion recharging options for batteries are decent enough, derived from the Axient technology, with some nice touches for real world use.

Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder, so have a listen, but as long as the RF stage reproduces the sound put in, and any capsule artifacts which are considered "nice", then job done.

Have done BLX on a church install before, money was tight, and it worked, just seemed to built for a bit of a pricepoint. We were pretty soon at the limits of what it could do, but it did the job.

As ever, pays your money....

TBH, all a bit third-world compared with Axient or UHF-R, but some of us haven't got the wedge!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 3:06pm
^ what he said really.

my advice is only a madman would use ANYthing in the 2.4GHz band for a gig, my X32 rack has shown me serveral times that 2g4Hz is far too risky for gigs..
100 Volt-line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:15am
I use the Shure ULXP4 stuff, pity its discontinued now. Have to agree the BLX stuff seems a bit Legoland.
A mate of mine got rid of all his SLX due to having bother with dropout, but it was never used with the ADU and paddles, so make of that what you will.
I have started going down the Senny route, but most commentators find the switches too fiddly.
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

my advice is only a madman would use ANYthing in the 2.4GHz band for a gig, my X32 rack has shown me serveral times that 2g4Hz is far too risky for gigs..

^ exactly this 100x times
Bass =/= Enough
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by 100 Volt-line 100 Volt-line wrote:

I use the Shure ULXP4 stuff, pity its discontinued now. Have to agree the BLX stuff seems a bit Legoland.
A mate of mine got rid of all his SLX due to having bother with dropout, but it was never used with the ADU and paddles, so make of that what you will.
I have started going down the Senny route, but most commentators find the switches too fiddly.

Just out of interest, What application are you useing them in? I strongly advise any of my end users using RF not to touch anything once they have been mic'd up.

Nothing worse than a panel talk where some muppet has muted his pack and forgot :(
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 11:11am
Hey guys

Thanks for all the info.

Really appreciate it,

With relation to the 2.4 ghz issue I have been there done that, totally agree.

Cheers.

Kev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:19pm
Arena commentators. Usually with fingers like sausages.  One particular chap left his mic on, and then described a member of the crowd as a 'silly bugger'. Another just switched on and shoved it in his pocket until he needed it. Not good when the rustling could be heard over the P.A.

Edited by 100 Volt-line - 19 April 2017 at 4:20pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:08pm
Isn't that what mute buttons, faders and a bloody engineer are for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Isn't that what mute buttons, faders and a bloody engineer are for?

Indeed.  However a lot of our jobs consists of 'set up and leave' type stuff that does not warrant a tech. Small battery amp, two horns on a pole and radio mic. That and/or client wants to save money and operate it themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply