Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Your Help: Tailgating Sound/Video Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jekstein87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Your Help: Tailgating Sound/Video Setup
    Posted: 17 April 2017 at 7:56pm
First post here - please be gentle!

Receiver that needs replacing: Kenwood VR-605, 60Hz, 2.2A, AC120V. Powering two "unmarked/unknown" KLH speakers (probably will replace these as well - they are about 1 foot wide and 3 feet tall. Have to assume 8-16 Ohms as that's what the receiver output says it supports)

I have a trailer setup for football tailgating, and it's time to replace the sound system (volume knob is busted and you can't read the display anymore ). On the trailer we've got three TVs - one main TV and two smaller TVs. Each TV has HDMI inputs running from cable boxes (we like to have three games on at once, but sound from just one game obviously). The audio from each cable box runs to the receiver over your standard red/white auxiliary cables. It gives us the ability to switch the audio between the three TVs (depending on which one we want the audio on, or if we want to listen to music instead, etc). 

My questions: 
1. Is there a better way to interconnect all these TVs and cable boxes to a receiver?
2. Most receivers these days appear to have HDMI inputs/outputs - is that the way to go? Can HDMI ARC help me here?
3. What specs (Watts, Ohms, etc) should I be paying the most attention to when shopping around? Any particular models or receivers or speakers that you can recommend? 

We would like to figure out a solution for $500 or less if possible. Don't really want to dump a lot more money into this than what we've already got.

Thank you in advance for any input - really could use some guidance here as we are all audio noobs.

Thanks!

Justin
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 4:39pm
Hmmm this is more of a PA/Soundsystem forum than Hi-Fi/Car Audio, but maybe we can help; 
Sounds to me like you could get some use from a multi-input 12 volt "PA" amplifier like this one: 
- although the naming is confusing because you'd sure as hell never use that on a real PA ;) They're for voice announcement horns at county fairs and whatnot.
Such a unit would run from your vehicle battery and not require a 120v power inverter as I assume you're currently using, and they are very cheap. The quality is not very good though, and they lack tone controls.
and a small mixer like this one:
and that would give you more power, better quality, and more adjustment range on the sound. I picked Pyle Pro because I think they are common in the US? Otherwise go for Behringer....cheap and cheerful ;)

You could also look at using a standard 12 volt car audio amplifier with the small mixer. There are some very good models available now that combine high power output with high efficiency and can be run from batteries (ie, engine off) for a long time. Look at units from Vibe and Alpine for a start. The technology you need is called "Class D", that means it's efficient.

Is there a reason you don't want to just buy another used 120v receiver? Sure you could pick one up for less than $500. If you want to have 3 different video feeds going on and only the audio from 1 at a time, a modern HMDI switching receiver is probably not what you need, as they would usually only play the audio from the currently selected HDMI input and correspondingly only route its video to the output. You would need a much more complex HDMI matrix switcher to enable free routing of audio and video from all inputs to all outputs. Those guys are $$$$$.

Also, you say your video sources are cable TV boxes - I am confused, how do you get a cable hookup out in the parking lot at the football stadium? Or do you just party in your back yard? I'm not entirely sure I understand what tailgating is....
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
jekstein87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jekstein87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 5:07pm
To answer your question about the cable boxes, we have three "tailgater" satellite dishes that hook up to the cable boxes. Basically portable satellite dishes that give us the video feeds. "Tailgating" is basically eating food, drinking beverages, and watching/enjoying football/sports in a stadium's parking lot with friends :)

Thank you for your input. I'll definitely have to take that all into consideration. Maybe getting a used receiver will be the way to go. I'll look into it. Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply