Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adobe Illustrator -Quadro SLI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:46pm
All fair points TBH.

remember K series is 3 gen out of date now, (we have had Maxwell (m Quadro, and are now running Pascal (P Quadro)) but tax aside, I may consider a gaming card like Titan X for my home PC (I use FirePro, just throw that one in.... LOL ) but HP don't certify any gaming card for Z series, Autodesk  don't certify gaming cards, once you have 96GB of expensive ECC RDIMMS, 2 x 8 Core Xeon chips, £45K of fibre-channel storage, £180K of Blade arrays as a render farm,the urge to use non-specc'd hardware is not high.

I have just build a Xeon workstation up (Z620 V2 based with a Pair of 1080s for student that simply couldn't afford Quadro, it rocks, like really rocks, but runs hot and occasionally crashes (as you say Quadro does have ECC VRAM on it's side) but for the render engine she is using it kicaks more ass than a crap box i7 and the low end Quadro she could have got.

I guess (as is common with me) what start as a question has ended as a RANT, but my point stands, how can S'works, Cinema 4D and 'Max and 'Cad run like poo off a Mobil 1 lubed shovel and some crate of crap app like AI needs an extra 500BHP for no reason what-so-ever.

For entry level, in fact, redact that, for low component count parametric CAD a second hand, Dual Hex LGA 1366 Xeon HP box (Eg Z600) with an SSD and a 1050 Board will take a LOT of money to beat, i7  takes BIG bucks to perform, and you are tied to a silly low, core count...

I have not even googled SouthWest CNC, but I guess you use Autocad/S'works with Fusion or similar as a CAM bridge, given to cost of a CNC rig, time is money, 2 decent workstations with "geforce" boards make more sense than a single one with Quadro of (in real terms, here, the same power) for more money!

Thanks again for all your input... 

Smile

S
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 11:21pm
Inventor is great is supports most files, I used to run s/works also but found it unnecessary to have both, HSM cam in inventor runs much better than In s/works. Neither have nesting unfortunately so I have to use third party software for that otherwise inventor pro does it all.

Autodesk don't certify gaming cards no, but they have full support for the NVidia cards at least. Something modelled on a crt with onboard graphics will still cut exactly the same as on a p6000 machine and that's all that it boils down to for cnc in all honesty graphics wise and simulation itself is cpu and memory heavy so no big gains there except if viewing an animated sim that you could infact convert to video and play on a dvd player in 4k (if the sim software was so capable) for the same quality.

Yeah you have pretty much outlined my approach, I went for the i7 6900k@3.2ghz which is up there with the xeons at half the price. Haven't had any issues with cooling whatsoever but yes they do run hot, Only downside but standard heatsink and fan and never overheated.

If only cpu's were able to calculate equations across multiple cores hence why cad will never fully support multi core processing. Clock speed is less important really than the bus speed, My i7 clock is slower than that of my old cpu but much faster, same goes for xeons, the fastest is just 2.5ghz lower than that of the 6900 i7. One way around the multicore processor issue is to run multiple instances of any autodesk prog when same file is open and you save you click update in the other instance and each instance will be assigned to a diferent core so you can infact share the overall task on multiple cores. Never done it mind you, never needed to.

In regards to illustrator have you tried turning off scratch disk virtual memory or tried turning off any of the special functions of your gpu driver.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 26 April 2017 at 11:40pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Inventor is great is supports most files, I used to run s/works also but found it unnecessary to have both, HSM cam in inventor runs much better than In s/works. Neither have nesting unfortunately so I have to use third party software for that otherwise inventor pro does it all.

Autodesk don't certify gaming cards no, but they have full support for the NVidia cards at least. Something modelled on a crt with onboard graphics will still cut exactly the same as on a p6000 machine and that's all that it boils down to for cnc in all honesty graphics wise and simulation itself is cpu and memory heavy.

Yeah you have pretty much outlined my approach, I went for the i7 6900k@3.2ghz which is up there with the xeons at half the price. Haven't had any issues with cooling whatsoever but yes they do run hot, Only downside but standard heatsink and fan and never overheated.

In regards to illustrator have you tried turning off scratch disk virtual memory or tried turning off any of the special functions on your gpu driver.

CNC wise, particularly for wood (no dis-respect) the guy setting the job out prob has more input than the hardware!!!!

I am a massive Autodesk , but do use S'works when I need structural info, but I do a lot with steel (wood is tricky to weld and TBH I am a fabricator by heart... Smile) but as for AI, I had to get the latest 2017 .1 .0 build by signing for for pre-release SW just to get arround the Nvidia Memory leak issue, I just think the fact we run 2 NEC 4K screens ( NEC screens are AWESOME) per workstation shows the Shoddy code in Adobe product,  Ai is MS paint compared to 'Max and 'max runs fine.

I guess using Quadro is a bit like using Switchcraft/Belden mic leads, for most situations Neutrik/VDC would do, but when it matters you spend the extra few quid to cover your ass.

For ref on the above analogy, most of my rig uses Pro Signal XLR, Ampheonol Jacks ( really nicer to handle than Neutrik) and i can't justify Belden, but consider Kelsey 200% of VDC.

But funnily, I only use Genuine Neutrik Powercon/speakon, because that matters.

Office '95, please insert floppy #4 to continue, Adobe CC, please insert another E5 Xeon and 6x 4GB ECC RDimms to continue.....

LOL

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Autodesk don't certify gaming cards no, but they have full support for the NVidia cards at least. Something modelled on a crt with onboard graphics will still cut exactly the same as on a p6000 machine and that's all that it boils down to for cnc in all honesty graphics wise and simulation itself is cpu and memory heavy.

In regards to illustrator have you tried turning off scratch disk virtual memory or tried turning off any of the special functions on your gpu driver.

CNC wise, particularly for wood (no dis-respect) the guy setting the job out prob has more input than the hardware!!!!

I am a massive Autodesk , but do use S'works when I need structural info, but I do a lot with steel (wood is tricky to weld and TBH I am a fabricator by heart... Smile) but as for AI, I had to get the latest 2017 .1 .0 build by signing for for pre-release SW just to get arround the Nvidia Memory leak issue, I just think the fact we run 2 NEC 4K screens ( NEC screens are AWESOME) per workstation shows the Shoddy code in Adobe product,  Ai is MS paint compared to 'Max and 'max runs fine.

I guess using Quadro is a bit like using Switchcraft/Belden mic leads, for most situations Neutrik/VDC would do, but when it matters you spend the extra few quid to cover your ass.

For ref on the above analogy, most of my rig uses Pro Signal XLR, Ampheonol Jacks ( really nicer to handle than Neutrik) and i can't justify Belden, but consider Kelsey 200% of VDC.

But funnily, I only use Genuine Neutrik Powercon/speakon, because that matters.

Office '95, please insert floppy #4 to continue, Adobe CC, please insert another E5 Xeon and 6x 4GB ECC RDimms to continue.....

LOL

Lol. Maybe revert back to an older version as mentioned. Sw cam is is very much like paint. Bloody awful and will throw its dummy out of the pram with the slightest error. Same part in inventor hsm (same engine as s/w hsm) no issues. The original designers left dassault, Which I'm sure has meant they have made less progress with their engine for addons. They went on to make onshape.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 26 April 2017 at 11:52pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 11:46pm
That's the point, the older version has had a memory leak with Nvidia drivers for the last 3 years!!!!!!

RANT!!!

Bigger RANT...

I guess you are getting my RANT!!!!! LOL
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 11:55pm

That's the point, the older version has had a memory leak with Nvidia drivers for the last 3 years!!!!!!

RANT!!!

Bigger RANT...

I guess you are getting my RANT!!!!! LOL

Dreamweaver cc is just as bad with Constant crashes.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:34am
Have you checked the forums for memory leak crap if you are running Nvidia???

This pissed me of so much...

Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:21am
I just don't get how Illustrator could give even the most basic PC a problem.

Give me any PC from the past 12 years and any version of Illustrator and it will work great.

Its less processor demanding than word or excel.

Maybe you have tried to reconfigure the scratch disks or are doing photo editing that should be exported to photoshop, other than that I can't see why anyone would ever have a problem.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 4:36pm
I think you may be missing the file sizes we deal with and the 2x 4K screens....
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 7:57pm
No where near you guys with this but one of my customers (Archaeology) uses AI on 7 desks. Firmly staying with CS4!  The later was a hog and leaked. Mind you, they are also happy with Office 2007.  Sensible people?
It's everything, not everythink!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 1:22am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

No where near you guys with this but one of my customers (Archaeology) uses AI on 7 desks. Firmly staying with CS4!  The later was a hog and leaked. Mind you, they are also happy with Office 2007.  Sensible people?

Hallelujeh!!!!

I say Hallelujeh Brother!!!!

If it ain't bust don't fix it...

But, when the world goes speakon, EPx is a pain, file formats dictate "progression" but you ar SO Right!

Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 3:25am

I think you may be missing the file sizes we deal with and the 2x 4K screens....

Then I would be running Adobe Premier not Illustrator.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>