Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powered speakers around £400 (£800 pair)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powered speakers around £400 (£800 pair)
    Posted: 18 April 2017 at 8:49pm
hey

A vocal coach friend has asked me to look into some speakers for her, looking to spend around £800 for a pair, something that she can plug a small mixer into for a handful of vocal mics and backing tracks. 

Mostly these would just be used in her teaching room but will occasionally be taken out on smaller gigs and showcases. 

There wont be subs, so a 15" cone would be nice, but if it came down to it I'd rather go for a better quality 12" and have a better vocal range and have the low end drop off a little, rather than go for a big boomy 15" and have the vocals suffer and be a little boxy and flat.

I was tempted to just recommend the lower range Yammy's  (DBR range) just because I use the higher spec DSR to great effect, but as I've never used them or many of the current brands/models in and around that price range thought I'd see what recommendations people had on here just in case someone could suggest something better.

K
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 9:02pm
Got to be yamaha DSR/DSX range.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 9:12pm
The Electrikal guys went with DBR for budget reasons (they needed a whole bunch) and they're dead happy with them. They're in enough shops that if you have a PMT or similar you can likely demo a pair? Or shout those guys they have DBR12 and are only in Edinburgh.

Alternatively, the QSC K2 series is about to drop so you may find some people cycling out the original K12 for a good price.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 10:00pm
We've got a selection of both DBR12 and the DXR12

The DXR do sound a little bit nicer, but can't knock the DBR at all

Managed to get a 2nd hand, few month old, DBR12 for £275 last year which was decent

Edited by Sinai Sound - 18 April 2017 at 10:01pm
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 10:59pm
thomann still have RCF ART 315 mk3 at £405 and the 312 a little cheaper got to be worth a shout at that price, premium brand and quality
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:45pm
Don't one of the Yamaha boxes have a built in multi channel mixer?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:51pm
The DBR and DXR do, so yeah she can plug an iPod or whatever in separately to a mic and also a jack for instruments, each with their own volume control.

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/yamaha-dbr12-active-pa-speakers-pair.html

Frankly that's insanely cheap, literally best trade price. You won't get more speaker for the money new.

Edited by toastyghost - 18 April 2017 at 11:52pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 2:13am
If this lady is like most I doubt she would be able to handle a 15" PA speaker, did you ask what size/weight box she would be comfortable with?
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:10pm
The yammy db get good reviews on thomann.

I have the dsr 15 they are great.

I might just treat the wife to a pair of their db monitors.

Post Reply Post Reply