Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For Desk Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For Desk Recommendations
    Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:13am
I generally cover DJ gigs so I take the output of the DJ mixer and plug it into the LMS and go from there.
Recently I've been starting to plug in the odd singer/acoustic act here and there etc so I'm on the lookout for a mixing desk. For now I would like to start small and simple as I'm no pro and want to build my experience before I move on to bigger desks with more bells and whistles.

I quite like the look of the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK
But my question is there anything else I should be looking at i.e Allen and Heath ZED60-10FX, Midas etc?

Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Biggus Biggus wrote:

I generally cover DJ gigs so I take the output of the DJ mixer and plug it into the LMS and go from there.
Recently I've been starting to plug in the odd singer/acoustic act here and there etc so I'm on the lookout for a mixing desk. For now I would like to start small and simple as I'm no pro and want to build my experience before I move on to bigger desks with more bells and whistles.

I quite like the look of the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK
But my question is there anything else I should be looking at i.e Allen and Heath ZED60-10FX, Midas etc?

With that desk a lot of what you're paying for is the ability to send all channels to a DAW separately but that doesn't seem to be something that you'll be using?  
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:51am
its only a extra £20 over the standard signature 12 desk - thought for the price might be a useful feature to have for recording.. not essential but at that price point I can't say no.

Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:54am
Another question... whats the difference between the soundcraft EPM and Signature desks. why would I go for one over the other?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:01pm

its only a extra £20 over the standard signature 12 desk - thought for the price might be a useful feature to have for recording.. not essential but at that price point I can't say no.

Well that's how they've priced them yes but realistically £309 for that mixer is above the rest of the market - example https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Mixers-Analogue/Soundcraft-EPM12-Mixer_267680.htm

The non-MTK users are going to be subsidising the MTK ones.  

Edited by Risc_Terilia - 20 April 2017 at 12:01pm
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:14pm
Devils advocate suggestion

Soundcraft ui16

Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

Devils advocate suggestion

Soundcraft ui16

Hi I looked at this but want to start simple before I move more hi tech
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

Well that's how they've priced them yes but realistically £309 for that mixer is above the rest of the market - example https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Mixers-Analogue/Soundcraft-EPM12-Mixer_267680.htm

Whats the difference between EPM vs Singature series apart from MTK DAC
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:10pm

Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

Whats the difference between EPM vs Singature series apart from MTK DAC

Looks like different pres, have a google...
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:40pm
Massively different preamp
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:02pm
Is the ghost preamp any better? Should I be looking at any other desks?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:13pm
The original Ghost series still finds a lot of use in studios because it has a certain sound when overdriven. Similar to Midas' pres but different sound.

It will better than what's in an EPM/EFX yes. But we had this question the other day frankly you're going to want outboard before long and you've already spend X Air or similar type of unit money. Just get a digital unit now it's more future proof a better use of your money and if you're new to mixing stuff the presets in there will probably be useful to get you started.

Edited by toastyghost - 20 April 2017 at 2:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>