Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proline 3000 vs EV Q99 bridged

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:42pm
Because as far as i'm aware most or all switch mode power supply amplifiers that are budget or mid-range price aren't capable of their rated power output continuously, most specs are burst specs so i've been told by the Pro Sound Web guys before. They said that only when you get upto amplifiers like the PKE or Crown I-Tech kind of price can the switch mode amps output their rated power continuously due to them having better power supplies.

I like the heavy toroidal amps with lots of capacitors because they're better on subs than lightweight cheap amplifiers.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:38pm
I never said anything about smps amps. There are plenty of torrodial amps with the beans to get those drivers moving, within the 500-800£ price range.

I think your getting too hung up on things like headroom and underpowering, granted these are important issues, but in real life simple precautions and common sense will protect yourself and your gear adaquately.

For example i use matrix str2400h's to power my 18's @ 4r and they should give 600w per driver (2 per ch) just under clip, and this is plenty to get them properly moving. I havent damaged any amps or drivers doing this even tho im 'underpowering'. Just keep a keen eye on djs and invest in a decent limiter.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 3:18am
I also power my dual 18 subs discreetly.. 1 driver per amp channel, but my subs have 4 ohm drivers in them which makes it easier to fully power them. I don't know if this will help you now but consider buying 4ohm drivers when you reload those boxes, and I'd also suggest you completely ignore any maximum ratings those drivers might have and pick an amp that can comfortably do the continuous rating.
richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:36am
That was pretty much my intention to use amplifiers to power my subs at around or a little over their continuous power rating as I play techno which is as we all known a very highly compressed music style.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by richardstringer richardstringer wrote:

I have 4 Wharfedale Delta 218B double 18" subs. What would give me the best sound and powerful bass from using either 4 Proline 3000 amps running the subs with one Delta 218B sub driver per Proline 3000 channel into 8 ohms or powering the 4 subs each with a bridged EV Q99?

According to specs, the q99 has only half the output power of a proline3000. Running it bridged on 4 ohm sub (effectively 2 ohm/ch) is a bad idea. It has been explained time and again how this will put maximum strain on the amp.

If you are really concerned about max power and headroom, the proline would be your choice in this case.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:46am
The next question would be, how many prolines do you really need? For the size of that winebar you will be doing, one proline powering two double18 (4oh per channel ) will be overkill.

A crew i'm affiliated with uses three proline 3000 to run rhino scoops, 1x18" per proline channel. They play big venues. Two prolines easily do medium venues. Actually we had a sound meeting recently, in which one guy showed up with a two scoop stack, running both scoops off ONE channel of proline 3000, second channel doing kick. He could keep up well enough.

I'd suggest you try first what one proline can do running two of your subs. Then compare if there is any benefit to running one driver per channel. You might be surprised
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:51am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:53am
Or this Yamaha, cheaper and has inbuilt dsp

https://m.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_px10.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:44pm
I'm using Proline 3000 amps ok because they're capable of continuously outputting their rated power output as aposed to a lot of Yamaha amplifiers which i've heard pro sound engineers say are actually rated in burst not continuous average power output. Plus DSP wise i'll be using either a Driverack PA2 and Drawmer DL441 on the Driverack's outputs because it's supposedly an excellent limiter or maybe if I can get enough money together I might buy a used XTA DP226 because it's a brilliant loudpskeaker management system and also has built in Peak and RMS limiters.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:03pm
Sorry, i just went off on a tangent looking at other amps. since you were considering the q99 i assumed you might also consider other options.

I love proline and crest pro series, i just hate to carry them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:41am
Don't worry about going off on a tgangent it's ok, I hate heavy amplifiers due to their weight but when I buy a sound system I want it to sound as good as it can be and so i'd gladly have very heavy amplifiers if they're gonna provide more continuous power to subs.
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by richardstringer richardstringer wrote:

Don't worry about going off on a tgangent it's ok, I hate heavy amplifiers due to their weight but when I buy a sound system I want it to sound as good as it can be and so i'd gladly have very heavy amplifiers if they're gonna provide more continuous power to subs.

Crest CA18 will not dissapoint!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>