Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What dedicated wifi router for dsp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What dedicated wifi router for dsp?
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:32am
Hey all...recommendations for a small dedicated router to operate a a dsp.
All I have at the mo is an old domestic unit, it works fine but it's bulky and I'd like something small that can live in the Amp rack.

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:02am
Cheap n cheerful, I have loaded 'LEDE' a fork of openwrt onto a netgear EX2700 which was little more than a brick with the factory firmware and what I had on the junk pile, nice and simple and works for basic wifi to my x32, it's a 'wall wart type device with a single ethernet port and dual antenna 2.4GHz N, no detachable antenna's though.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 15 May 2017 at 9:02am
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:18am
If you don't mind spending over the odds but want it neat and solid, there's the Nowsonic Stage Router / Pro...

Looks good but isn't cheap...
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:44pm
I use one of these for remote apps for lighting desks, very happy with range

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:40pm
Thanks lads.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:32pm
I use a Draytek 29xx 5Ghz series for most things, cheap enough off ebay, you can get rack kits but most of mine are on generic rack shelves, I won't tolerate wall warts so I buy a 12V 1A IEC in PSU them. They aslo let you plug a LTE dongle in so you can run production Wifi (on a different Vlan/Subnet/channel/frequency) if you want as having an old HP B&W laser jet in mons world for channel plots, wine orders etc is handy...

I have also used with good result a BT business hub 5G mode only) and an old Virgin Home Hub thingy in 5G....

The Nowsonic thing looks kinda tempting but as reality check I wouldn't buy a Cisco mixing desk and there shouldn't buy a piece of IT kit from an outfit that makes Keyboard stands!!!!

I have also put a lot on Zyxel & TP link kit in and I have to say I am impressed

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:54pm
TP Link stuff is ok budget kit, their Nano Router is good!
Ruckus is the one, but £££
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:56am
For more serious wifi then look at the pro audio equivalents of networking such as th cisco 'cleanair' ap' or something along the lines of of a Mikrotik metal 52ac etc, sticking an ap 'in' a rack from an rf point of view can be about as bad as it gets, idealy wants to be away from obstuctions and local interfereance as possible, the right choice of antennas really helps especially if close coupled to the ap, there are various outdoor grade ap's that run POE, so just need a piece of CAT5 running to them and have the mountings to clamp to a pole, that has the advantage of the ap acting as a head end amp for the remote anttenna. For the size of gigs I'm using my ex2700 for it just sits on the next to the desk on a rack plugged into an extention cable. Any budget solution that is supported by Openwrt or LEDE is worth a shot.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 17 May 2017 at 7:57am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:06am
Ubiquiti NanoStation
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Ubiquiti NanoStation

Looks like a good call
King George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:04pm
A lot of PA companies use Ubiquiti bullet M5s with a 'donkey' antenna. 
Pico/nanostation is a good call if you don't have an arena to fill!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:39pm
Just bear in mind you need to be addressing them properly with a fixed network, DHCP isn't gonna fly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>