Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WSX Driver Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

If the L18P300 are performing way better why have you changed to tbx100? Bigger X-max in a long horn? Why?

sorry for my broken English, the TBX100 is performing better than the original L18p300.
more control, and way more output. we didnt change it for the bigger x-max, but for the output.
and the TBX100 = the wsxa driver.

We fitted a 18sw115 once, (and it wont fit without modding). ended up in a -4db @ 40hz at the same powerlevel.

the tbx100 and l18p300 "sounds" alike, the 18s115 has a different sound, and more pressure.
XentriK Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XentriK Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:25pm
Before swapping out drivers I'm going to give them a test on a PL9 & hopefully either a k10 or k20.  

As the V18-1000 has a larger x-max than the tbx100, I suppose I should build a spacer ring to add onto them? If so can you point me in the right direction as to how I can do so?

I've heard quite mixed views on Powersoft with wsx... some saying a K8/Outline Tnine will do well powering four, whereas others saying even a K10 lacked power on four??
Devon Based Soundsystem.

https://www.facebook.com/XentriKSoundEvents/
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:11pm
Not sure what your using above the wsx but try higher xover with lr24 and a butterworth 24 hpf in the low 30’s, listen to them without any other cabs for a change in sound as you increase the levels and play with highpass and limiters until you maintain a clean sound. LR48 are rarely needed and can cause more problems than they solve. Then try some eq.
XentriK Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XentriK Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:51pm
I'm running:

2 x Ohm Trs 212 mk3 (hopefully getting another soon)
2 x Martin Audio F2B (all original drivers)
4 x Martin Audio Wsx (V18-1000 loaded)

Ill give your suggestions a go when i next get the chance to test. Thanks.
Devon Based Soundsystem.

https://www.facebook.com/XentriKSoundEvents/
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:35pm
FLH throughoutSmile, the WSX and F2b will have a nice usable range of overlap, crossing at 70Hz I would try 2nd order Butterworth 1st order maybe worth a try when all stacked together. 180-200 LR24 to the Trs.
Also check polarity of all your bass drivers and cables.

Edit:
Just to to the above, if you can then grab a mic, pretty much anything will do, get it plugged in and working with a PC and some measurement software (REW) etc and measure the relative phase an level approx one octave either side of the xover point, if trying the first order xover then a low 'Q' cut at around 180Hz to the WSX may help, lots of other settings to try before changing drivers IMHO.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 17 May 2017 at 4:01pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:17pm
- have you measured/setup the system with smaart or any other proper tool?
if so it might indeed need better amps/drivers to make the most of it.. if not, do it..
(running the kicks up to 180-200 as suggested doesnt help much though imo)

- have you checked WSX Horn response graphs with different driver options yet?
if not, its well worth it imo, at least you get an idea how the horn and drivers behave naturally..

:)

btw. 6 wsx should happily xover to 3 trs212s without any need of dedicated "kicks" imho

Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by XentriK Sound XentriK Sound wrote:

Before swapping out drivers I'm going to give them a test on a PL9 & hopefully either a k10 or k20.  

As the V18-1000 has a larger x-max than the tbx100, I suppose I should build a spacer ring to add onto them? If so can you point me in the right direction as to how I can do so?

I've heard quite mixed views on Powersoft with wsx... some saying a K8/Outline Tnine will do well powering four, whereas others saying even a K10 lacked power on four??

we made 16 of these spacers (8mm), and put them between the cab and the tbx100. seems to work pretty well.

iam not sure about the difference of a k8 or a k10. We use k20's for 8 wsx, and K3 for 8 punishers.
the K3 is pretty impressive as well

Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:15pm
Funnily enough I swapped out a driver in a WSX this week at a walkabout venue . Supplied by Martin audio the replacement driver was a B&C and came with a "fitting kit" which was exactly the same as the above picture , an 8mm ring . The Martin supplied ring was painted black though !
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:08pm
We recently bought a load of WSX and the seller chucked in a few old blown drivers, one of which was the newer type complete with above pictured spacer ring friction fitted to the driver gasket
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:09am
LR48 are rarely needed and can cause more problems than they solve.
Fatfreddiescat can you explain why you think that. I am not saying you are wrong just very interested to hear why. At the moment i am trying to get to grips/undestand which type is best on certain designs. thanks in advance.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Brutus Brutus wrote:

We fitted a 18sw115 once, (and it wont fit without modding). ended up in a -4db @ 40hz at the same powerlevel.

no of 1.9%, of course this will be the case.

Yet some still argue, reference efficiency is not relevant for subwoofers..

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:04pm
Low reference efficiency matters for subs if it's caused by low motor strength i.e. saving money. It's much less important (or even unimportant) if it's due to a heavy cone attached to a strong motor. Just look at the frequency at which the cone mass starts to make any difference to the response, it's well above the operating range of any good sub driver.

What matters for sub drivers is having a strong motor, plenty of Xmax and power handling, reasonably low inductance and good linearity, and a strong enough cone not to break up or tear. Many of these are incompatible with high reference efficiency...

And of course, being the right driver for the box it's installed in :-)

Edited by IanD - 28 May 2017 at 1:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>