Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complete newbie looking to build a small sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 11:09pm
I wasnt sure if he was building himself or not hence why i said ' i would value hogs at..' And of course you need to factor in your own time to the cost of a build when valuing them.. hours you could have otherwise been working for instance. A hog without wheels sounds like a terrible idea to me they are a descent lump. And no grilles how will you defend the drivers from fingers and knocks?. My point was they are hardly a budget bin there are much cheaper options. The Kind of budget you suggest you would have 2 unusable hogs by the sounds of things, better to be realistic and get something smaller or just simpiler like reflex that is finished and loaded to a better standard. 
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 1:51am
I don't consider time spent on hobbies time i could be otherwise working.

Wheels do seem handy but i must admit i've never needed them before myself (2x 2m steel tubing with rachets+straps, most cabs are an easy two man lift), and i've had cubos without grills for ages and no bother there.

I do agree that hogs aren't simple builds, but if you took the time to read the OP's first post you would see he wants to build and has already looked at hogs. Reflex will need more drivers to compensate for the lack of efficiency compared to horns like cookie-dj has pointed out.

different horses for different courses. you might consider hogs built at that price point "unusable", but i would rather call them rustic and make as much noise as possible with the best bang for your buck.

Anyway I don't want to hi-jack this thread anymore than we already have. Sorry to particle-jim for getting a bit off topic. If you can handle to build hogs are a great shout for roots and dub. other options would be bandpass or tapped horns, but they need fairly specific driver specs to work properly so it entirely depends what you have at you disposal over there.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 7:43am
My suggestion is if you prefer scoops. is to look at the ms18 mini scoops instead. they nest much more efficiently into ply sheets, Off the top of my head i think its 3 sheets to make two. These can be used without wheels. Simpler and cheaper build but they still pack a hell of a punch. 

2 x ms18's + Couple of 15'' reflex kicks and 2 x 12'' 18 sound mid tops enclosures. 

particle-jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:09am
Thanks for all the input guys, you've given me a lot to think about :)
particle-jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 7:41pm
ok so I've been doing more thinking about this an I'm stuck between going with 2 g-subs and 2 x-12s, or going with 2 or 3 18" miniscoops, 15" reflex kicks and something for the tops, not sure what i would go with for the tops though.

What would be the pros and cons of each? I'm thinking G-subs and x12s will probably be simpler to build and only require simple 2 way crossover but would require more drivers whereas if I go for miniscoops, kicks and tops it will be less drivers but would presumably need to be run 3 way. Both have their upsides and downsides so I'm not too sure what to go for at the moment
www.soundcloud.com/particle
Sirius Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 11:03pm
I would suggest to go for just scoops and tops. I would say some Mt tops from this site a few scoops will be more than enough. If you are really on a budget then just one top and three scoops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123