FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

burst /power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: burst /power
    Posted: 07 July 2017 at 5:18pm
Infinite 7.
What is the thd on this test for k10? It changes during test? As power changes?

Edited by gen0me - 07 July 2017 at 5:21pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You might find that if you run an Infinite 8v2 that hard at 2 ohm loads, eventually channel 2 will need repair...

You mean its number of transistors?    
Some tests are quite tempting on its brother
1) how does abeltronics test them? Create sinus 50hz for 100ms plays on the level of clip and measure voltage on dummy load? Got from it both thd and power.
2)Limiter in void will not allow me to measure on such strong burst like k10?
It could be good for thd though.

That's not an Infinite 8v2…
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 3:44pm
I meant 40hz
This powersoft isnt just a burst either..

Edited by gen0me - 07 July 2017 at 3:45pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 3:06pm

You might find that if you run an Infinite 8v2 that hard at 2 ohm loads, eventually channel 2 will need repair...

You mean its number of transistors?    
Some tests are quite tempting on its brother
1) how does abeltronics test them? Create sinus 50hz for 100ms plays on the level of clip and measure voltage on dummy load? Got from it both thd and power.
2)Limiter in void will not allow me to measure on such strong burst like k10?
It could be good for thd though.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 2:12pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:14pm
Those void measurements are continuous measurements. So on this k10 chart they would be just straight line exept the 2R burst for 0.1s (4158w) that later should fall to 3112)
Regret there is no thd for this burst 100ms for void.

Hmm
Why powersoft has 7500W on burst 100ms falling to 1200W and infinite 4158 falling to 3112. Its a HUGE unproportion.

The limiter starts working wherever you program it to? It will depend on your driver and cabinet combination - and how well/true the manufacturer is at providing ratings for those. For example a TH118 can handle 160v RMS.

I meant when hes getting out of steam

Edited by gen0me - 07 July 2017 at 1:30pm
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

all measurements are burst measurements - just some people's bursts are longer than others

Very true Abletronics were about 100ms in some cases and ive seen 33 and 66 and as low as 5 and 12 also to be included which as been mentioned already is the freq at which the signal is delivered in an attempt to determine a power supply's strength and weaknesses. The difference comes in what are manufactures burst signals made of that's how it appears to me that they need to come together and decide on real world comparators to use, as oppose to the EIA standard 40ms burst @ 1khz    

Edited by djkeet - 07 July 2017 at 4:08pm
Soundbite
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 12:12pm
all measurements are burst measurements - just some people's bursts are longer than others
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:46am
[QUOTE=gen0me] Hmm any estimate how much will have for example infinite 8 in burst?

https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=Void_Infinite_8_mk2

Infinite 8 appears to behave well under burst testing conditions but Toastyghost hits the nail on the head with his analysis of the K20. What makes them different to the toroidal is the pfc (Power factor correction)where in a nut shell the amp will deliver its wattage regardless of voltage fluctuation which most know anyway.I own smp amps But do they deliver what it says on the can its close but NO it reminds me of the new washing machine it says it can spin at 1400rpm it can with two panty and pair of socks, once we start loading it up we have to change the settings so its considerably slower.   

Edited by djkeet - 07 July 2017 at 5:01am
Soundbite
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:20am
The limiter starts working wherever you program it to? It will depend on your driver and cabinet combination - and how well/true the manufacturer is at providing ratings for those. For example a TH118 can handle 160v RMS.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 12:55am
Weak in comparison to amount of transistors. Old toroid vs new powersoft.
Can you give some examples of music material where limiter starts working?
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Hmm any estimate how much will have for example infinite 8 in burst?

Why old transformers around 120% rms power rise distortion so dramatically?
Does it mean that powersofts have enough transistors for this 7kW as I understand thd is acceptable but weak psu? Or will those old transformers have also acceptable thd in burst?

Define 'weak' - it takes well under half a second to fully recharge the caps in a K series.

1 second of above rated power at 2 ohms is enough for the vast majority of even bass heavy material - remember that most tunes don't sustain a single note at full power for more than that. We work with a whole bunch of stuff that tests the boundaries of what could be called 'music' and even then, don't find it lacking.

We tend to run our K20s at 4r per channel, simply to give that 10s spread. A reduction of ~18% is perfectly acceptable at 10 second sine wave duration.

Edited by toastyghost - 07 July 2017 at 12:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>