Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powering 4x1KW subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powering 4x1KW subs
    Posted: 11 July 2017 at 9:16pm
Hi guys, need some help with a decision on what amps to get.

I have built two 18 inch 4 ohm 1000W aes vented subs, and want to build two more.Currently powering the two I have with an Ecler DPA 2000 that outputs 2 x 960 W on 4 ohm loads, the output on the subs with the current amp is not that great, could this be caused by the fact that the drivers are brand new and the mobile parts are still stiff?They played under 10 hours.

Also at the same time I will build the second pair, I will also build double 12 inch+1.4 inch tops,currently I use the two I have with single 12 inch+1.4 inch tops.

I was looking at buying 2 x Proline 3000 amps to power the four subs, each of the subs will get @ 1500 W.
I know I will hate the rack after this.Do you have any other suggestions on amps?

The system will be used for live sound and DJ sets at weddings and other 3-400 people events and under.

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:56pm
Heard different DPA. Didnt sound too loud either.
Foca_Dacian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 10:11am
Question is, i know I will get more SPL using a bigger amp, but won't I lose it do to bigger power compression?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 10:52am
What I meant is they may sound silent to amount of watts.

Edited by gen0me - 12 July 2017 at 11:03am
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 11:53am
I like Ecler kit (I have one of their DJ mixers) but I do not know the amplifier. Is it a SMPS? Generally, unless you have one of the big boy manufacturer's amps then SMPS amps can sound a bit gutless on bass. There is a massive difference between amps on how they sound when running bass. Could you borrow someone elses amp and give that a go on your bins to see how they sound?

I know everyone on here seems to like to drive their speakers with a billion watts of power but I honestly think more difference can be found by using an amp that can do bass rather than rinsing every last watt out of your bins. If you do that, as you said power compression due to thermal effects start to come into play anyway.

(Just my tuppence)
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
Foca_Dacian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:27pm
The amp uses a transformer and has mosfet tranzistors,I'll have my final conclusion about this amp on  the subs after they break in.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 1:18pm

May I suggest that you check the polarity of all the transducers in the system to ensure there is no phase cancellation and that any time alignment if required between the bass LF and lo mid LM is set correctly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_time_alignment

Regards
4D
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 1:27pm

2x700 one.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 1:29pm
Btw does your 2000 break fuses on start?

Edited by gen0me - 12 July 2017 at 1:30pm
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 1:59pm
DPA2000 does not blow fuses on start. Maybe the softstart circuit is blown.

Also, I see you have the AMIC DSP Card installed. Please take a look at the internal settings.
You will need AMIClab software for that.

Maybe you have the gain set too low, or the crossover points set incorectly. Try and deactivate the limmiter/comp on the DSP and do another test.
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:08pm
Something might be with dsp. Bass doesnt sound flat.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:09pm
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>