Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight horn kick bins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight horn kick bins
    Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:37pm
Are there any drawbacks to straight horns for kick besides the obvious depth size ?
What free plans are kicking about?
Ideally 65-70 to 180-200hz not higher.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 4:43pm
there's a selenium one. the name escapes me now, hb something i think.

or the xtro 15" section.

read up biotec's coffin bin threads to see where he landed on all this.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 4:48pm
One disadvantage is that you're not going to get the band pass loading beneath the minimum horn loading frequency as dictated by the size of the horn mouth.  This means if you want the horn to go as low as BPH cabs like HD15, USB, ES18 etc. you'll need a larger horn mouth.  
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

there's a selenium one. the name escapes me now, hb something i think.

Also

I'm not sure a straight horn is worth the extra depth if you only need to go to 180-200Hz, starts to make more sense if you want to reach 300-350Hz in my (very non-expert) opinion.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 8:19pm
That coffin bin thread lost all the pics, annoying.
Yea im aware they wont be a standalone bass solution if it comes to that, that is a compromise im willing to take.
So what dictates more the lower cutoff the horn mouth or horn lenght?
Darkmatter isnt it other way around ,regarding frequency :)
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 9:27pm
The horn length determines the 1/4 wave length resonance, which is often depicted as the lowest the horn will play. This is influenced by other horn parameters though, amongst the horn mouth and throat. If the horn mouth is very large and thus the flare rate of the horn is as well, the horn will appear shorter, on the other hand, if the horn mouth is very small the horn will appear longer. A larger mouth will boost overall efficiency and smoothing things out, a smaller mouth will boost low frequency output, the throat will do the opposite in effect.

The deep cabinet is the main disadvantage of a straight horn, the band pass effect can still be created by adding front chamber volume. This will add more low output in exchange for (you've guessed it by now) limiting the upper band width.

Best regards Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 12 July 2017 at 9:32pm
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Darkmatter isnt it other way around ,regarding frequency :)

Don't think so... a standard folded horn will likely sound bad playing the higher frequencies. A well designed straight horn should play higher more easily. However the straight horn is likely to be an awkward depth and the HB1505C1 box (for example) has plenty of dead space which could be avoided in a folded layout.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:45am
I misunderstood what you said, you mean a straight horn aint worth it  at all if just aiming for 180hz upper cutoff...
I just realized theres already lots of threads on this subject actually Big smile
Understood Mr. Johan, so without needing the bass extension below 70hz and not a particulary great upper cutoff, would have to aim somewhere in between regarding mouths and throats.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:51am
Altec bas bin.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:56am
I just stumbled upon Hennesey sound design "the cannon" 18mbh65 . Just what i had in mind actually when i made this thread.
flinnt45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flinnt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:05pm
Hey Try Inlow sound, should be a design there for you
JAH Kreator Hi Fi
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:26pm
What about the mkb230? Gets good reviews , I like the idea , using 12's in a horn , one fold rite by the throat !

Personally looking for a 12" or 15" design that's pure horn that gets up to 500 and goes down to around the 90/100 area ,actually cant find anything
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>