Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandpass Enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:23pm
Even if spl would be close the excursion will be killing it. Dont worry 186 would have similar problem...
Five & View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 3:10am
Thanks.
Let The Music Play
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 7:57am
186 horn is designed for 50hz and up in blocks of 4, bandpass much beyond 1.5 octaves has little to recommend over a reflex, good luck getting 30hz out of a single mini scoop, only real option that has more output than the reflex for a given driver is a tapped horn.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

bandpass much beyond 1.5 octaves has little to recommend over a reflex

My TSW-721s in pairs would disagree.... but the BPH nature of them does give them a bit more oomph than the reflex band-pass design
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

bandpass much beyond 1.5 octaves has little to recommend over a reflex

My TSW-721s in pairs would disagree.... but the BPH nature of them does give them a bit more oomph than the reflex band-pass design

Not aware of any bandpass horns that will do anywhere near flat to 30Hz, certainly not in singles although the TSW-721s can get interesting in blocks of 24 with a bit of boost if you have the headroomEvil Smile
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 5:59pm
Do you consider a Cubo a bandpass horn?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Do you consider a Cubo a bandpass horn?

Not as in the common usage of the term 'bandpass horn' ie sealed rear chamber and short horn on the front chamber vent, you could call all horns bandpass horns as they all have a passband, cubo looks to be be a bit of a mongrel of a design.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 7:45pm
So according to you, as the OP specifies a bandpass not a bandpass horn, all horns and mongrels could be considered?

Quote A mongrel, mixed-breed dog or mutt is a dog that does not belong to one recognized breed and is not the result of intentional breeding
I ensure you, the Cubo is the result of intentional breeding ;)

Best regards Johan
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

So according to you, as the OP specifies a bandpass not a bandpass horn, all horns and mongrels could be considered?

<span ="st">
Quote A mongrel,
mixed-breed dog or mutt is a dog that does not belong to one recognized
breed and is not the result of intentional breeding
I ensure
you, the Cubo is the result of intentional breeding ;)

Best regards Johan
</span>

Fair point, miss use of the word mongrel, hybrid would be a better description, some of my favorite dogs have been mongrels:)
An assisted version of the cubo could prove to be a usefull wide bandwidth cab, for live work I use the channel eq to lift the low end on my detuned ported horn 'hybrids' cough, and on the dsp for dj events, keeps the mix cleaner and just works.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 1:45am
OP asked about SPL, not flat response.

The moment you start getting SMAART out and wanking to the graphs as opposed to using your ears, you've kinda missed the point IMHO Embarrassed

EDIT:

Just for reference/OP's benefit, 2x721s lay absolute waste to 2xEM Quakes as we discovered recently LOL

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 19 July 2017 at 2:37am
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:31am
Than the question is kinda stupid. As 186 cant go to 30hz, bandpass trying to beat 186 on spl going to 30 would have ridiculous excursion like 3cm. And Rhino is different league than 186.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12