Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crossover points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

I didn't realise the OP was talking about designing a Line Array.

If he is I wasn't aware so I don't see how that statement is relevant.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 9:46am

Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

What the hell are you talking about, the E140 was designed to be an instrument driver so it is also a perfect mid-bass PA driver.

With some notable exceptions, that statement is just straight-up wrong. The majority of instrument drivers are horrendous as PA drivers...

Nothin a little PEQ can't fix.

I didn't realise the OP was talking about designing a Line Array... if your box needs that much EQ to be useable, you don't need DSP you need a chainsaw.

That is a bit of a stupid statement. Just look how many 'basic' point source cabs come with either built-in DSP, or external controller. Nexo PS15 is a classic example. Try use those without the controller.  Dead

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

What the hell are you talking about, the E140 was designed to be an instrument driver so it is also a perfect mid-bass PA driver.

With some notable exceptions, that statement is just straight-up wrong. The majority of instrument drivers are horrendous as PA drivers...

Nothin a little PEQ can't fix.

I didn't realise the OP was talking about designing a Line Array... if your box needs that much EQ to be useable, you don't need DSP you need a chainsaw.

That is a bit of a stupid statement. Just look how many 'basic' point source cabs come with either built-in DSP, or external controller. Nexo PS15 is a classic example. Try use those without the controller.  Dead

There's a large number of people who drink a certain kool aid about EQ, apparently it's the devil - nevermind that all of your high pass, low pass and other filters are exactly the same damn thing.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:04pm

If he is I wasn't aware so I don't see how that statement is relevant.

I was being facetious. The whole ethos of designing and building cabinets that NEED EQ correction in order to make them usable is a joke.

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

That is a bit of a stupid statement.

In the context of using an instrument driver as a PA driver in a DIY box thats going to cost a couple of hundred quid to build to a decent standard and need a parametric EQ that costs at least as much again to get it under control?

Quote Just look how many 'basic' point source cabs come with either built-in DSP, or external controller.

How many of those boxes sound fine without it and how many of those are doing much more than acting as x-overs for use with optional bins or adding pre-emphasis to the low end or top end in certain applications as in the SX300 processor? How much noise do some of them inject into your signal chain?

Quote Nexo PS15 is a classic example. Try use those without the controller.  Dead 

Try using a PS15 even with the controller Ermm they sound like pretty much every 15"+CD Disco box...
Awful.

The PS series are a good example of a bad idea though, without THE processor for the specific model they are little more than expensive firewood. The processor itself isnt cheap either and its not exactly a versatile device.

The only saving grace of what Ive heard of the series is that the PS12 does sound very nice for stand alone tit-on-a-stick duty
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

There's a large number of people who drink a certain kool aid about EQ, apparently it's the devil - nevermind that all of your high pass, low pass and other filters are exactly the same damn thing.

Highpass and Lowpass filters that are an unfortunate byproduct of the fact that nobody has yet built the 'perfect' audio transducer.

VS.

EQ that's necessary because nobody could be bothered to design a speaker properly or with appropriate components for the task.

LOL Its a breach of basic Engineering design principles.
(Note I did not use the term 'engineer' which seems to get applied to any kid without the appropriate certification these days)
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 9:18am
Remember driver oppposite phase of bass, BUT JBL-basses are out of phase! postitive polarity moves cone backwards, this can give issues with aligning with other cabs / subs, I think most other designs has bass at normal polarity and horn reversed, so notice phase if used with subs.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 10:25pm
" JBL-basses are out of phase! postitive polarity moves cone backwards,"

Not all, check for sure.
djk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 11:46am
Strange! All the 2225s, 2226s & E-140s, E 130s, K140s I've seen are.
Perhaps aftermarket diaphragms can be the other way around.
Always check, don't like JBL that much...
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:02pm
[QUOTE=_djk_]Depends on your horn, 1Khz should be OK.
Is it safe to cross a 2446 this low? Thanks for all the responses.

Edited by ychole audio - 31 July 2017 at 3:03pm
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:02pm
Should be, if the horn loads it
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:52pm
you could also google stuff and do some homework before asking…..  just saying…… 

Ermm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 1:12am
JBL 4" diaphragms don't sound good crossed below about 650hz or so, even on a huge horn (2360 has a 300hz cut-off).
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>