Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

advice for an RLA inspired system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice for an RLA inspired system
    Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:59pm
I've been lurking around all the forums for a while now and done quite a bit of research, but was hoping for some practical advice.

I want to build a 4 stack sound system taking influence from the RLA/new york style. I want to run this with a RLA/GSA crossover with separate feeds for the subs and tweeter arrays, and have nearly decided on what I want to build but some advice by people who have built these kind of speakers before would be appreciated Smile

I know I want the JBL 2395 slants, 2405 slot tweeters and the tweeter arrays, but still I'm a bit unsure on the rest. From speaking to a few people on other forums already I think I'm going to go with the JBL 4520 below the JBL 2395. But then again I have been reading up about the waldorf, and having never heard these speakers before let alone compared them I am unable to make my mind up. Also maybe considering something for the midrange, but then again maybe not, I am unsure here. If I go for a separate midrange box then the 4520 scoops would be running as my 'sub' without actually being a dedicated speaker for sub 100hz frequencies, somewhat like scotts stack https://flic.kr/p/84vcGM

If I don't go for a midrange box, then there is the issue of maybe having subs to go underneath the scoops. Some technical folk have told me to not bother with subs as they aren't required for my application (mainly wanting to play 80s disco, early house music, world music etc) but from reading about the old new york clubs, and that the crossover I want to use is meant to be used with subs for 100hz and below, even if I don't NEED subs, I think it'd be great to have some, even if they're run pretty quietly, to make the most of the crossover. Next question what kind of subs, folded horn or bass reflex? I don't have room for the levan extension, (I'm not opening a super club, only a space for about 200/300 people) so that leaves me with a bertha style w bin, or go for something completely new and modern, like a labsub for instance. I've heard standard double 18 folded horns, like the funktion 1 or void ranges, and I wasn't too fussed on them.

I'm happy to experiment and play around with different set ups and configurations, but due to the fact that I'm having to build all these speakers myself, I'm trying to limit the amount of experimenting I have to do to save time, resources and money. I've spoken to a few people already, hopefully there's a few more who have tried this kind of thing before and can offer some input, thanks!

Edited by budney - 25 July 2017 at 12:39am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 11:31pm
There are four Pioneer edition Bertha with detachable extensions for sale in Manchester if you want the real deal
budney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

There are four Pioneer edition Bertha with detachable extensions for sale in Manchester if you want the real deal

do you guys have the new pioneer gs wave??

Somehow, I don't think I could afford that Cry 
this is planned on a budget all made by local speaker builders/me, and shelling out for the lenses is going to pretty dear too

Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:45pm
having heard a number of the rla style stacks in new york around the turn of the century, and danley sound labs synergy and tapped horns, I'd go with the latter at this point
budney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

having heard a number of the rla style stacks in new york around the turn of the century, and danley sound labs synergy and tapped horns, I'd go with the latter at this point

so it seems tapped horns is the modern idea I was talking about without actually knowing what it was
seems interesting as they don't take up that much space, however all that I can see online are people building them for their home theatre type setup. 

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm not going to go with the synergy, not likely I'll find plans for them. Pretty set on the jbls for the hf anyway, have heard them and love their sound, was just concerned about what to choose for the lows. 

Also its gonna be a pretty small room comparatively, so don't need anything thats got a long narrow throw, I'm after even coverage everywhere 

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:42pm
If you search on Google for 'synergy horn plans', they're right there in the first couple of results.
budney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:51pm
okay, I stand corrected, was just being lazy!Big smile
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by budney budney wrote:

this is planned on a budget all made by local speaker builders/me, and shelling out for the lenses is going to pretty dear too

No, the subs were part of an old Phazon JBL custom install, which is also for sale. They might be a better deal than you think, but you'd need to take all four.
budney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by budney budney wrote:

No, the subs were part of an old Phazon JBL custom install, which is also for sale. They might be a better deal than you think, but you'd need to take all four.

phazon install up north...are they from cream? would be sweet to own a bit of history. but with the extensions, its just too big for me I feel

Edited by budney - 25 July 2017 at 3:27pm
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:15pm
Nah, Sankeys - the Cream rig ended up in a skip chopped into bits

Edited by toastyghost - 25 July 2017 at 3:18pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

If you search on Google for 'synergy horn plans', they're right there in the first couple of results.

All those free plans are light years far from the real box. They do look quite similar, bu that is exactly where similarity stops.
Also there are several TH115/118 plans on the internet, all of them are missing a very tiny detail that actually makes the drivers live much easier and not break the cone at the first gig.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
budney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:34pm

Nah, Sankeys - the Cream rig ended up in a skip chopped into bits

Shocked thats awful! although I can't imagine there would be any clubs opening any time soon that would have taken them. such a shame. 

Sankeys, Cream and MOS no longer have their old systems, are there any old new york style stacks left in England anymore?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>