Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

slow computer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: slow computer.
    Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:38pm
My puter is suddenly slow, and even when not online the processor is buzzing away constantly. the little green light is constantly flashing and there's a constant buzz from the speakers.

Any ideas?

Also what's the best anti virus. Is it best to buy it? I have the freeware version of Avast at the moment.

Edited by markie - 25 July 2017 at 8:02pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:26am
Use the Task Manager in Windows to see what process is using up all the CPU causing your machine to run hot.

Avast is probably the best free Anti-Virus and for paid Kaspersky has come top of every test in the last few years with it blocking more viruses then anything else.

As an extra add-on to run along side your AV use Malwarebytes. The paid version is better as it gives real-time protection.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:44am
Norton, Kaspersky, etc. are all much of a muchness in the grand scheme.

Things like  AVG, Avast, etc. that have free versions are all pretty crap... the paid for versions of them are pretty much just polished turds though.

The little green light will be your Harddrive access light so theres a program thats running and causing your computer to be using the HDD constantly.
A good AV paired with Malwarebytes will normally find whatever it is if its malicious.

As always, a fresh install of Windows and starting from scratch is the much cleaner way of doing it if you do have anything nasty on your PC.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:59am
Did the task manager thing and it shows usage of between 0 and 1% so possibly there's not a problem.

I wouldn't have a clue how to re-install windows, I usually find it's easier to buy a recon computer. I only use it for Ebay, Email, the odd google search  and on here so don't need anything special.

I guess the crackling means I need new speakers.

Thanks to all for the help.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:12am
Is your HD getting full? If it is then it could be swapping a lot. How much space do you have left?

Buzz from the speakers is probably noise from the constantly moving HD getting into the power supply rails?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:30am
Hard disc is only about 15% full. 414Gb free out of 465.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:32am
How much RAM have you got?
and how much memory useage is Task Manager reporting?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:04am
It shows 4Gb with 2.99Gb useable. Not sure what that means.

Task manager shows between 30% and 50%

Edited by markie - 26 July 2017 at 11:05am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:07am
Mine was running really slow all last week, ran the harddrive defragment programme a couple of times,all fine now. Thumbs Up
Be seeing you.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:27am
I have defrag as a scheduled task, once a week.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 12:04pm
How about system restoration to a point prior of the sluggishness?

SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:17pm
Advanced system care with smart defrag and smart ram by iobit. Absolute god send. Find every pc I've had needed a reinstall after a year without this software. With it runs tip top all the time. Highly recommend
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>