Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

diy antishock rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diy antishock rack
    Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:53pm
Hi
we just upgraded from dcx & inukes to labs fp+ and xilica so i want a better case to protect the new toys. i want to build  some shock proof cases, and  as  the system is quite modular and we often take out only a smaller stack, and sometimes i move it alone and store the amps on the 2nd floor, i intend to build more smaller racks to keep it manageble and don't expose to risk amplifiers that i don't need just because i need one in the rack.
i was thinking of
1 4u for fx (delay, rev, comp and one free space for future Proofing) now <10kg without ply
1 3u dsp+1 lab 10000 16.5 kg
1 2u 1 lab 10000 12 kg
1 2u 1 lab 1000 20 kg

inukes and dcx stay in the old racks as monitor/b rig/spare

so which way of shockproofing the rack would you suggest?
right now i'm considering inner case/foam/outercase

or somethingh like this

i found a similiar bit 10 mm high with 20kg load and 60 shore hardness (for reference adam hall kit uses 8 pieces with 29 kg and 65 hardness, but my racks are light) i was thinking of fitting six on the base and six on the top panel betwwen the inner and the outer case.

what do you think? 

RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:54am
What are you doing with your flightcases that you need shock-proofing?
throwing them down stairs? Tongue

If I needed shockproof cases for something and I didnt have time to work out a sprung/calibrated setup i think I'd go with the cylindrical dampers...

Bare in mind though that the dampers will only really work with a decent amount of weight to pre-load them, if the contents are too light then they won't dampen the shocks appreciably
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:19am

might be cheaper and it'll certainly be easier to just buy a good used one.

supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:22am
I have an 18u foam shockmount, a 10U foam shockmount, and a 9u full suspended case (on dampers).
All for sale as it happens Thumbs Up
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 11:34am
thanks for the answers!

@roadrunner, hopefully not down the stairs, but sh*t happens, especially loading late at night after a long gig. this was a considerable (mad?) buy for us and you know... i hope to move this gear a lot so better safe than sorry.
if i go the diy damper route i will maybe have a (not audio) engineer friend help me choose the right values.
do you have any guidelines? I know i have to account for increasing wheight from gravity and the fact that the load will not be evenly shared in case of hit.
i like the fact that the dampers i found are a little softer (60 vs 65 shores) than the ones adam hall sells, as my racks will be light so this will dampen with lower wheight.

@supreme
thanks for the offer. l actually was looking for smaller racks (2-3-4 U ) to keep them easy to hand on my own. furthermore i am in Italy, looks expensive to ship...

I don't exclude buying, and could use some feedback... anyone uses roadinger cases? 160 euro for 4U foam shockmount.
any shop/brand you suggest?

in the end i am going to look at total cost and see if a solid diy build is worthy, but it seems, especially if i go the 4 small cases way, that there is some money to be spared.

Post Reply Post Reply