Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martinsson ROAR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martinsson ROAR
    Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:08pm
Anyone on here had any experience with these?
The Tham collection is brilliant and I'm sure the Roar collection is just as good.

The website states:

The ROAR designs are all made up of a constant area tapped system coupled with a quarter wave resonator, the TPQWR abbreviation aims to describe this as Tapped Pipe (constant area segment) + Quarter Wave Resonator (another constant area segment).

In theory this results in the passband range of a tapped constant area system (wider then its corresponding TH) with a in passband efficiency grater then that of their corresponding TH equivalent.

Regarding the naming, putting together a name based on the design principles involved proved to be an impossible task, so we opted for Johannes Rodin's surname initials and something that described the prototype build characteristics.... ROAR! :)

ROAR15 and ROAR18 is IPAL compatible!

With only minor adjustments to the original design the ROAR15 is 18IPAL compatible, as is ROAR18 with the 21IPAL, according to simulations, the adjustments required is limited to adapting the driver cut out, adding some additional rear panel bracing and in the case of ROAR15 an upward offset of the mouth brace by approx. 20mm.

You can't polish a turd!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:15pm
Looks similar to one of the designs I started working on a number of years ago. If it's anything like that it was fast and hard but a bit bitey in the sound, but then I was using trial and error and Martinsson is a legend.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 7:11pm
The Roar 15 outplays the Tham 15, by quite a margin too.
He is also toying with the idea of a single driver tapped horn with 2 different horn paths to increase the pass band. 

You can't polish a turd!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 8:56pm
They look fantastic on paper. Something that springs to mind right away with this design style is the high potential for nesting midtops and other components in the large open area for mobile applications.

That could help to offset the extra enclosure size per output they have compared with the THAM series.

You could easily get a stereo pair inside the the mouth of the ROAR18, either side of the midbrace. Plus cables mixers and whatsits in the wasted space either side at the front perhaps.

Edited by Hemisphere - 17 August 2017 at 8:58pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

They look fantastic on paper. Something that springs to mind right away with this design style is the high potential for nesting midtops and other components in the large open area for mobile applications.

That could help to offset the extra enclosure size per output they have compared with the THAM series.

You could easily get a stereo pair inside the the mouth of the ROAR18, either side of the midbrace. Plus cables mixers and whatsits in the wasted space either side at the front perhaps.

Especially if there was a way to grille the driver end of the cab, not the horn mouth (to protect the driver from mentioned items)

You can't polish a turd!
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:04am
Thank you all for the kind words, very much appreciated.

So far only the ROAR12 and the ROAR18 has been built, the ROAR12 by Johannes (circlomanen) here in Sweden and the ROAR18 by BesPav in Russia.

Preliminary measurements for the ROAR12 with a very fresh (brand new out of the box) B&C12PS100 seem to indicate that our intentions with the design are met, however we see some discrepancies between the simulations posted on the blog and the measured results, this is now being investigated.

The initial impressions are good, from both builds, but the ROAR series are still very much a product in theory, but we hope that will change as results of builds are coming in.

The basic idea that generated the ROAR series was something Johannes came up with when we tried to figure out the inner workings of the Danley BC 415 sub, needless to say we missed the target on that one, but the idea still remained with us and eventually it turned into the ROAR series.

I have to stress that so far the ROAR series is very new and are still undergoing a lot of intense scrutiny, so please consider the published simulations as preliminary indications only, the results in real life does however seem very promising, having tested the ROAR12 together with Johannes.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
circlomanen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote circlomanen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 11:48am
https://postimg.org/image/gccrt3lkl/ -

"Anyone on here had any experience with these?"

I have built the first ROAR12 as part of our development of the ROAR-series.
My very initial impression is that they have a quite physical and tactile character with a good midbass punch.
The 12PS100 is almost brand new, so I don't want to draw to many conclusions from it yet.

Since I don't use this loudspeaker in any professional way, just for domestic use in my living room, it will probably take some time before the suspensions of the driver loosens up.

I have been playing with the ROAR12 outside powered by a single channel of a QSC RMX1450 for an hour, and it is loud and clean. I really like it.

Regards,
Johannes

doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 12:33pm
I read about these on your blog what seems like a long time ago. Very nice to see things moving along. Looking forward to it. I am building one of Art welters bins at the moment. Very good of you guys to upload plans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 11:28am
Quote Very good of you guys to upload plans.
It's a matter of giving back to the community from which we have received support, knowledge and shared experience, for free, and for a long time, the ROAR series like the THAM series, would not have been what they are without you (all) on this and other forums.

The power of open development, unclouded by financial or intellectual rights/demands, is astonishing, as is the collective knowledge shared therein.

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 5:38pm
hey

this also a design I am very interested in looking at.  I have a driver handy that seems to sim well in it (BMS 15s430v2) and was planning to try a few little prototypes and ideas over the next few months, so will add this to the list and maybe knock an MDF prototype up, see what comes of it. 

K

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:38pm
Quote this also a design I am very interested in looking at.  I have a driver handy that seems to sim well in it (BMS 15s430v2) and was planning to try a few little prototypes and ideas over the next few months, so will add this to the list and maybe knock an MDF prototype up, see what comes of it. 
Hello Kevin

Having the ROAR15 added to the list of built ROAR designs would be great! so far we have feedback on the 12" and 18" versions and I can only offer my sincerest thumbs up and gratitude if you should choose to go ahead and try it out.

It is very rewarding to see the amount of interest the ROAR series has created in various forums in what seems a very short time, they are way ahead of what was the case with the THAM series when they made their debut.

I would like to think that the "ease of build" priorities in the design phase play a part in the great reception of both the THAM and the ROAR series, and that the performance once built do even more so, this far the ROAR series seems very well received by the few who has given them a try, and I hope to add you to that list.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:52pm
Quote I can only offer my sincerest thumbs up 
Something like this? 

Edited by Hemisphere - 23 August 2017 at 1:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>