Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick_frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera
    Posted: 19 August 2017 at 3:25pm
Hi!

I need a pair of speakers for sound therapy (for oversensitive hearing). I am looking for a flat or near-flat frequency response curve or something that I can equalize out. The other acoustic properties, like transient response don't matter since there will be continuous noise played back.

Durability: I need it to last about 3-5 years with 6 hour daily use. The sound level will be similar to the background noise which is traffic noise through a window, and it will be raised slowly about 34 decibels from there.

Budget: You tell me... Suggest speakers from multiple price ranges if you think it is appropriate.

My listening opportunities are limited. I would prefer buying mainly based on measurements.

What speakers do you suggest?

Thank you.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 3:42pm
If you can specify the frequency range, and spl requirement, we can develop and build that system for you.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 5:58pm
Durability shouldn't be a problem. Frequency range might be, especially the lower frequencies. Also, do they have to be portable or will they be fixed? Is it one listener or a group and how far away will the listener(s) be?
Down with signatures!
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 11:02pm
Get a pair of Genelec's active monitors and you are sorted.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 9:55am
+1
Ditto that. A good set of hifi or studio monitors should do nicely.
Be seeing you.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Get a pair of Genelec's active monitors and you are sorted.

Thirded, this is the best way to go. 8000 series have a huge range of mounting options to.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 8:45pm
As above, the main decision will be the low frequency extension you require.  I would imagine that almost all studio monitors would fit the bill, even fairly cheap ones.  Active ones are likely to make things easier from an installation point of view.

Might be worth trying something like the Behringer Truth series.  Might be quite budget but they are sold with measured frequency response graphs and are surprisingly good.

quick_frog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick_frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 1:33pm
The case has delayed quite a lot. It is still a question what speakers I should buy.

The output is a digital audio player (line out) plugged into an Onkyo A-9010 amplifier, so I want passive speakers.

I asked Ascend, and since I live in the EU, the shipping fees and the insurance would increase the price a lot. ('Total for the order will be $298 for the speakers + $245 for shipping = $543'. Plus import tax.)

I think Philharmonic Audio and Chane are similar in this question, because they are in the US too and say similar things about shipping on their website.

I am interested in whether the Ascend would be still the best buy for me after the posting fees. Maybe there is something with better price:value ratio due to being available in the EU.

I could spend $300 - $600 total.

I have seen these brands more easily available: Mackie, Yamaha, JBL, Edifier, Wharfedale, Emotiva, "Electro-Voice", Alto, FS Audio, Malone, Adam, Tascam, KRK, Focal, Presonus, M-Audio, Tannoy, Pioneer...

There is a Genelec reseller in my country, but those speakers have XLR inputs.

The listening distance is 1 m, fixed, on a desktop, 1 listener.

As for the low end of the frequency range, 50-60 Hz is enough.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:01pm
Whats the problem with the XLR input? 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
quick_frog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick_frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:45pm
The amplifier has "plain" wire outputs, can I connect those to XLR inputs?
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by quick_frog quick_frog wrote:

The amplifier has "plain" wire outputs, can I connect those to XLR inputs?

No. The XLR inputs (and subsequent built in amplifiers) mean the onkyo is totally redundant and unnecessary...
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:55pm
having an amp is useful, but insisting on using it shouldn't steer you away from the right choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>