Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My £ 77.00 Horns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My £ 77.00 Horns
    Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:05pm

I picked up these horns from an older gentleman for £77.00

These horns will allow me to design a pair of vintage 100 Hz straight horns as a winter project. Each cabinet will utilise two 12 inch EV Speakers, one EV 10 inch Speakers an Altec 511B and, 4 JBL 2405 Tweeters.

Compression Driver is uncertain at the moment although, I am thinking of investing in some TAD 4001 compression drivers.

I will conduct some spot measurements using a Faital Pro Compression Driver on the Altec 511B in a few days just to observe the frequency response curve.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:41pm
I think they're perfect just as they are, strapped to a sack cart.

If you ever go crazy and decide you want to preach to the unconverted on street corners you're just one class D amp and a battery away from the perfect system.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 2:50pm
I will never go that crazy. LOL

Here is a measured response using a Faital Pro HF 100, Please note the limitation of the driver is 1.5 kHz to 18 kHz.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 23 August 2017 at 2:55pm
Elliot Thompson
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 9:21pm
this are great horns!!
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 1:25am

These horns tend to ring like a bell when you strike it with an object. It appears to be a common factor with the Altec 511B upon further research. The below graph is the measured results of the ringing effect when you strike the horn with the tip of your index finger.

As I am aiming for that sound old Altec steel horns are known for I am not going to damp the horn’s resonance.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 3:35pm
You got a bargain there Elliot, removed from their cases and cleaned up,they would sell for four or five times that on Ebay.
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 2:08pm

Absolutely! If I did not like the projection of these Altec Horns, I would sell them and earn a hefty profit. I always fancied the sound of metal horns over plastic horns. Metal horns offer an accent in which plastic horns cannot replicate in the mid–high region. Of course, this imprint on the sound is not a pure replication of the audio signal. However, the motive of this up and coming design is to offer a more 1970's – 1950's sounding horn-loaded loudspeaker system from 100 Hz – 20,000.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply