Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - B&C 21SW152 and 21DS115 long term power handling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 21SW152 and 21DS115 long term power handling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:11am
Been toying myself with 21/18/15 sims in flh. The slightly lower response from the 21 seems like its not really much of a gain compared with a 15" where there is potential for a smaller chamber and a longer horn and with it lower response and spl gain.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by logsquared1 logsquared1 wrote:

Not sure I follow.

Anyone have any real world experience with the 21DS???

All speakers can have an offset or shall I say off centre movement behaviour when they are driven very hard under long-term conditions which, can lead to voice coil rubbing.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 27 September 2017 at 10:04pm
Elliot Thompson
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:35pm
I think that's a mechanical issue not electrical.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

I think that's a mechanical issue not electrical.

Of course! Unless you are planning to drive a woofer with very little excursion the woofer is susceptible to such an outcome when driven at very high sound pressure levels. From what I gather, the motive is extracting the most amount of power under long-term conditions.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 11:29pm

Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

You dont need that much cone area for 50-150hz, you will not really achieve more output and you would probably get a better sound with a 15". The price difference should also be quite significant

Simulations are saying otherwise.  Also, I A/B tested my prototype against 3 X HD215's eq'ed to match as closely as i could get.  The hd's are loaded with EV DL15X's (EBP = 140).  The single 21 had no less "punch" than the 6 X 15's.  Sound quality was very good.  Obviously the the 6 15's were louder but not by much.  And the 21 when not eq'ed went at least 10 cycles lower.  

Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

Sure. But finding 15" with so much power and cone excursion for mildly unloaded horn is very hard. But 18DS115 should be better for that task. I do agree that 21" for 50Hz horn sounds like something is not right. The 21" could even not move enaugh and burn the coil edges soon.

The 18DS115 looks like a nice woofer.  However, the 21 is a much more efficient driver.  I should have mentioned I plan on using the box as a general purpose sub down to 40 cycles for non EDM gigs.  The extra surface area should be helpful here.  Good point on the possible thermal problems if the cone is not moving enough.  That kind of goes back to my original post..... What long term power are people putting to these things?

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

They can certainly take tons of power, but, how long they will last, it is a different question. Pushing lot more then 2KW per driver will for sure start exhibiting power compression and you wont get much louder from that point even if you push 4KW to them.

One of the reasons I am so excited about the newer amp is the ability to have large voltage swings and limit the average power to keep driver heating down.  Should give more confidence when running hard.  

You can still damage the driver by creating an offset which will lead to the voice coil rubbing against the magnetic plate.

Best Regards,  

Not sure I follow.

Anyone have any real world experience with the 21DS???

A single 21 is equivalent spl to six 15s and can generate the same kick? Is that right????
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 12:26am
What type of enclosure are you planning for those "kicks"? Normal driver, offset driver or bandpass horn?. I would say here is your answer about quality/spl.
Look at efficiency graph. Despite similar sensitivity efficiency graph can be very different. On normal boxes its not a concern..... When enclosure is "oversized" to driver/horn size efficiency graph will show up that less heat will be generated. Oversized for 15" is smaller than oversized for 21" but ofc its speaker dependent. All in all there arent many 21" drivers with qes lower than good 15"s. + bigger excursion=better cooling.

If you look about speaker survival the smaller driver at higher frequency wavelengths will have smaller differences of pressure on oposite sides of the cone.
logsquared1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

A single 21 is equivalent spl to six 15s and can generate the same kick? Is that right????

Keep in mind the dl15x is a 30+ year old design.  Not a bad woofer, just old.  Well suited for a BP horn.

dl15x  sd= 860 cm2 x .41cm xmax = vd 352.6 cm3,  EBP=140

21ds115 sd= 1680 cm2 x 1.7cm xmax = vd 2856 cm3, EBP=150

6X 352.6 = 2115.6 cm3 VS. 2856 cm3

The hd215 is bandpass horn, so totally different to the folded horn I have the DS in.  The hd215 has lots of efficiency in the 160-220 cycle region.  I wanted to compare the 21 box to  a known box i have used a million times.  I had to eq out the top end of the hd and the low end of the 21 prototype to match them up for subjective sound quality listening.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 1:14am
again, cone area is worth very little in a front loaded horn. yes, a 21" will have lower excursion than a 15" in the same enclosure (while having about the same sensitivity), but if your Front loaded horn is excursion limited (and not thermal/power limited) you dont have a good horn design.
As southwest cnc stated, just build a longer horn with more compression for the 15" (compared to the planned 21" cab) and you will have more SPL and lower response for a given input power in an enclosure about the same size.
this is not valid for BPH though.

Edited by corell - 28 September 2017 at 1:16am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 3:04am
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

again, cone area is worth very little in a front loaded horn. yes, a 21" will have lower excursion than a 15" in the same enclosure (while having about the same sensitivity), but if your Front loaded horn is excursion limited (and not thermal/power limited) you dont have a good horn design.
As southwest cnc stated, just build a longer horn with more compression for the 15" (compared to the planned 21" cab) and you will have more SPL and lower response for a given input power in an enclosure about the same size.

I would like to sim this.  What are some modern drivers I should look at?  I tried b c sw115-4.  I can get similar response to 21ds with a horn as you describe.  However, it shows a bit less sensitivity ~2db and 3-4db less max spl.   
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 5:01am
I'd not stick to generalizations here. Larger driver with more cone excursion doesn't mean it's worse than another smaller driver with less cone excursion in different (suitable) box. Matter of design. Nothing more, nothing less. 21DS115 is exceptionally efficient driver, so it's hard to beat with other drivers. Only situation I saw it being beaten is when it was compared to larger box competition.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 10:54pm

Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

I would like to sim this.  What are some modern drivers I should look at?  I tried b c sw115-4.  I can get similar response to 21ds with a horn as you describe.  However, it shows a bit less sensitivity ~2db and 3-4db less max spl.   

Hey logsquared,

i simmed an example for you:

Both are FLH with identical horn mouth size and netto volume, both have a compression ratio of 1:2,5 and both are fitted with modern high power high motor force drivers. I designed them for a 50Hz cutoff (see the excursion graph) and went for an almost identical frequency response 50-120 Hz while keeping the last 2 horn segments identical (note that the 15" response could be further optimized around the 100Hz range with different horn shape). I added 7cm on the 15" version to make it 510 liters aswell, but it hardly changes response.

As you can see, both will take 1500w well within its excursion limits. The 21" has a higher thermal power handling on specs but i wouldnt advise to power any closed backchamber enclosure (Like FLH) with significantly more juice, as they will get warm! Also, 200w give or take are barely noticeble from 1500w on or off (<0,5dB).

Please also note that the 15" horn mouth could be made smaller with small impact while the 21" would "suffer" more from it. This could be for this exact sim only, so i wont generalize here.

Hope this makes sense to you :)

Edited by corell - 29 September 2017 at 11:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 12:16am
Thanks for running those simsThumbs Up  

I guess my design is a bit different from a standard FLH.  One of the design parameters was to have the driver "backwards" to allow better cooling of the VC.  The other was to have symmetrical loading in the throat 

Check out the sims:

The dark plot is your sim at 2 pi  the other is my design.  The standard FLH will go a bit lower in multiples.  The loading I came up should be much better in singles and the the mouth is not much bigger.  I am curious how the RCF 15 would work in a loading like mine?  Will play around with it tonight.  Funny thing the RCF driver is $100 more than the 21DS here in US.

Here is the plot at 105v.  Note this is the 4 ohm version of the 21DS.  So around 2500 watts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>