Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C buy out Eighteen Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Most of the steel here comes from Ukraine, they are fucked up badly too, so i guess we kinda take advantage of that.

What is odd is that we have one of the biggest steel mill manufacturing all sort of sheet metal. All goes for export so we import cheaply from Ukraine. Sometimes things dont really follow any logic.

There will always be some local variations with raw materials. I can only look at and observe international market rates.

Main trend I see everywhere, NOTHING is getting cheaper...

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:17am
Nope, never.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 1:30pm
I can see why B&C want to look more closely at other products because if raw materials are on the increase all you can do is make things smaller and efficient take a look @ this coming in at over 2K Phantom Gold its suppose to rival a small PA system Titanium tweeter etc

Edited by djkeet - 09 October 2017 at 1:31pm
Soundbite
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:35pm
Only in their dreams.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:44pm
The raw material increases are mainly having an effect on profitability. Similar games play out across all industries.

Nobody wants to put their prices up and be uncompetitive, but keeping your prices too low for too long can mean youre not making any money. Somethings gotta give somewhere, even if its just a few percent increase.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by djkeet djkeet wrote:

I can see why B&C want to look more closely at other products because if raw materials are on the increase all you can do is make things smaller and efficient take a look @ this coming in at over 2K Phantom Gold its suppose to rival a small PA system Titanium tweeter etc
lol how much are they paying you? Rival a small PA system
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:15pm
Ever heard these? They are very impressive for their size, the bass is extremily powerfull.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:35pm
Maybe so... but a small pa system? Really???

Could it match cookiedj's tham/8" tops? I have compact 15s bms loaded and with the tops i wpuld say its a pretty small pa system... i doubt that can hit with anything like the punch of mine?

Im not saying it's not impressive for its size but does the comparison (which ive seen elsewhere) really stack up? And if it does what the are we all doing here?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:49am
108dB peak SPL. You would need 4 of these per side to rival a small PA system. 2 per side if you're stretching the definition somewhat.

Nice deep bass in a small box but it's all about the amp power. Huge amp and low efficiency high excursion low resonant frequency low Vas bass drivers, probably with an enormous neo magnet assembly. It's a luxury engineered product with a specific performance target.

I'm not saying the engineering behind it isn't clever, but don't expect B&C to be taking pointers from it any time soon. In terms of enclosure material efficiency it does an excellent job - huge deep bass in a tiny package - but it's driver and amp material efficiency (particularly for PA applications) are abysmal.

Technically it might seem a device like this has broken Hoffman's Iron Law (low bass, loud and small - pick two), but 108dB is not really very loud, and anyway a device that breaks the iron law is subject to another law - the 'it's gonna need a massively oversized amp and driver' law.

It would be interesting to see the bass driver in this.

Edit: As I suspecected. Look at the size of that magnet relative to the enclosure..and it's neo! And there's two of them!

Closed box with a load of EQ isn't it?

Just to illustrate what I mean, here's a generic closed box sim:

See the rolloff starts at 60Hz but it's only 20dB down at 14Hz. That's the principle of the Phantom in a nutshell. 2 drivers with 90dB efficiency plus 4000 watts is 129dB. Probably unprocessed the reality is closer to 123-125dB, so the -3dB point with the peak SPL set to 108dB is 14Hz.

Again I don't mean to downplay the engineering involved - they've clearly pushed the limits of what's possible, just not in a way that the PA world will find useful.

Edited by Hemisphere - 13 November 2017 at 10:20am
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 10:02am
I saw one of those in the mall in HK the other day. They look very nicely engineered. You can see the bass drivers in that picture - the round shaped panels on the side. In the mall they had them doing what must have been less than 1Hz for the purpose of demonstration.

It sounded good for the situation but difficult to be objective with high background noise and without the opportunity to compare or listen to a track I know well.

I reckon my missus would prefer one of them to my piles of boxes and horns. I don't reckon I'm the only one so they'll probably sell well and the materials can't cost the earth so maybe this'll kick the Bose wave radio into touch...
Don't test the champignon sound
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 1:50pm
lol how much are they paying you? Rival a small PA system

Actually not my words Hemisphere but their's they're prob useful for a dance class or house party Since the start of the post we have been enlightened on the buy out. Thanks for the detailed construction pics/measurements

Edited by djkeet - 21 November 2017 at 1:54pm
Soundbite
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 2:07pm
It wouldn't be a sensible choice for that application though. You're spending 1000s extra for a shiney aesthetic and at least 20Hz more bass extension than you need.

It's processed like crazy...if it was possible to bypass the EQ then it would be good for a house party, but I'm 100% certain the mid/high driver would be incapable of keeping up with the unprocessed bass section, so this is not an option.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 November 2017 at 2:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234