Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free Plan: 2 x 18" Wheelie Sub for PD186

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Plan: 2 x 18" Wheelie Sub for PD186
    Posted: 30 March 2018 at 2:09am
I've recently moved from Sketchup to Fusion 360 and converted and improved a few projects I've been working on. The first few nights were very very tough but once I got my head around the Fusion 360 workflow I don't think I'll go back to Sketchup anytime soon....

This sub is a 330.75L enclosure when removing volume for two PD186/2, ports, bracing, etc. and tuned to 39hz. It should go a bit lower with some R2.5 Acoustic Insulation 24kg/m3 Batts – 88mm thick down the back of the cabinet.

The Adam Hall Wheels are on one corner at 45 degrees so these could potentially be a one man lift/roll (yet to be done in real life!) 

Inputs and Outputs:

8 Core input (NL8MPR-BAG + SCNLT)

4 Core Output #1 (To Low Mid - NL4MD-V-R) 2 + / 2 - 

4 Core Output #2 (To Mid High - NL4MD-V-R) 2 + / 2 - 

4 Core Output #3 (For Link output to sub 2 - NL4MD-V-R) 2 +/ 2 -

4 Core Input #1 (For direct input and link input - NL4MPR) 1 + / 1 - 

EDIT: Here's the link to the Fusion 360 Public Share

^^ This will let you view in 3D, explode, measure, etc all in a web browser window

Open to any suggestions/input anyone has to improve things Smile

Transfer Function:

Simulated Filtering and EQ:

Input power:

SPL:

XMax:

Port Velocity:

Edited by vertx - 03 April 2018 at 4:40am
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 8:39am
Steel bar handles to the top rear corner not yet pictured or not presently part of the design?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Steel bar handles to the top rear corner not yet pictured or not presently part of the design?

Not yet part.

I've been thinking about handles on the opposite side to the wheels but not sold on metal bar handles. I have those on the low mids but thinking maybe wooden handles might be the way for the sub... still looking for something with the right looks vs practicality
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 9:59am
I think steel bar handles can look great in the top rear corner of a wheeled bin. Maybe a bit utilitarian but I like that. I like when na box has enough trim and detail that make clear that it's a serious work tool not a furniture installation (or at least not only a furniture installation), but I guess that's personal preference. Minimal as possible so that the only things your eyes are drawn to are functional, or 'function first'. 'Function one', as it were (and therein is the beauty, if it's a well designed box).

There are a bunch of style variants out there, and some are very apt for a big box sub - sharp edges, minimal, no flare (are we still allowed to say flare around here?) and you can select your own bolts etc so if you put thought into it you can certainly get a good result, aesthetically speaking. They're good enough for many of the biggest pro manufacturers so I wouldn't sniff at them.

Functionally there are no issues with them either. Kind of thin metal, but the surface area is curved and small enough that it doesn't matter.

Edited by Hemisphere - 30 March 2018 at 10:01am
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply