Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G sub loaded RCF LF18X451

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djteknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 10:41pm
No I don't but ideally I wanted to have two enclosures made with those drivers because they can handle tons of power, they have a high xmax. In the right enclosure two of them, two dual 18" subs with those drivers properly powered should be able to output pretty devastating bass.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 12:50am
Where are you located?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 8:44am
Originally posted by djteknovibe djteknovibe wrote:

No I don't but ideally I wanted to have two enclosures made with those drivers because they can handle tons of power, they have a high xmax. In the right enclosure two of them, two dual 18" subs with those drivers properly powered should be able to output pretty devastating bass.

Have you heard a g sub loaded with RCF L18P300?
You can't polish a turd!
djteknovibe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djteknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 9:31am
I'm located in Boston in Lincolnshire and no i've never heard a G Sub apart from on Youtube which gives you a very inaccurate idea of how loud one might be. The G Sub loaded with two RCF L18P300 wouldn't give as much spl as one loaded with two RCF LF18X451 drivers would it? I mean the LF18X451 drivers can handle 800 watts EAS more each driver and have an xmax of 13.5mm wheras the RCF L18P300 have an xmax of 7.8mm. That should, as far as my limited knowledge allows me to understand make a dual 18" sub loaded with the LF18X451 drivers give more spl and move far more air shouldn't it? I mean maybe trouser flapping, chest thumping maybe bordering on gut wrenching.

Edited by djteknovibe - 25 June 2016 at 9:36am
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 12:32pm
RCF L18P300 is one of the greatest ever reflex drivers IMHO. 

The LF18X451 is better suited to bass horns like the SBH or other front loaded horns, maybe even a BPH like the ES18 or USB. Quite an expensive driver too. Without testing in WINISD or other simulation software, you can't just say more xmax and higher power handling makes it the better driver for said cabinet. Search for G Sub drivers on here and see which drivers are best suited to that cabinet. 

With your name "djteknovibe" I'm guessing your music taste ends at 50hz? Why not go BPH like ES18 and they can be loaded with budget drivers to good effect.
You can't polish a turd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djteknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 2:40pm
My dj name is the name i've had since I first started dj'ing in 1993 but I started playing gabba, hard techno, hardcore now know as oldskool hardcore like Basement Records, Impact Records, SMD 1 etc...I liked the sound of Teknovibe because when I slammed out gabba it sounded a cool dj name. Anyway I still play mainly oldskool hardcore from 1992-1995 which has a lot of sub bass from about 30-60hz to be honest, tracks like Static Substance - Ghetto People (Remix), DJ Vibes - Get High (New Jack London), tracks like thatabsolutely thrash subs.

I don't have a clue as to what level of power compression both the LF18X451 and L18P300 drivers suffer from so can't be 100% sure as to which driver would give me the highest spl long term as obviously power compression sets in after a very short while due to the voice coils heating up as you know But it seems gerenally a pair of LF18X451 drivers would be roughly 2.5db louder than the L18P300 drivers. I guess in real world terms 2.5db extra spl isn't much really. I'd definately be willing to have two G Subs made with L18P300 drivers.

sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 3:08pm
[QUOTE=cookie-dj] RCF L18P300 is one of the greatest ever reflex drivers IMHO. 

The LF18X451 is better suited to bass horns like the SBH or other front loaded horns, +1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djteknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 3:48pm
My thoughts are i'm wondering how much difference in spl output i'd get between two G Subs loaded with the RCF L18P300 drivers and say for example a JBL SRX728, EV QRX218 etc...I'm just trying to work out if it's worth the hassle for maybe what would at best be 2-3db extra spl output. I wouldn't be interested in horn subs because I honestly prefer front loaded reflex subs for sound quality.
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 5:53pm
HI,

I happen to have considerable experience with the RCF P 300, The RCF 451 and the RCF LFX 401. I also know the in and out of the SRX 728.

You cannot compare the JBL SRX728, with a duel enclosure, loaded with the RCF L18P300 (provided it's designed well). The SRX 728 uses a neodymium differential drive driver (2268H) which in the long run cannot take the beating which the 451 and the 401 can sustain.

The P300 is a gem of a driver and when driven with a good amplifier, well built enclosure, and with a good crossover, can out do the SRX hands down. (provided you can source the P300 at a good price)

The x 451, x 401, and the P300 need a extremely well built enclosure because drivers like this need
to be pushed hard to extract it's money's worth. port design takes the forefront with these drivers.

If these drivers are used in a well built enclosure, and designed well, it can do a lot of damage to the ear. Trust me on this. 4 duel enclosures can cater to a crowd of a 1000 people, and I am talking about a 1000 Indians.(we are a noisy species - I am from India).

In India, It makes great sense for us to build our own enclosures. the Import duty into India is 34 % of the invoice value, add to that a 14.5 % tax, add freight, and you will see how expensive a product that is imported can get. Unfortunately, 99 % of the time, most people do not know know to design a enclosure, nor have a clue of how to power them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djteknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 6:00pm
If the L18P300 works exvellent in the G Sub enclosure then I definately am up for having two built but I don't know anyone that could build the enclosures to a very high standard. I am gonna consult a cabinet maker but they might be very pricey.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

G sub is a very small box. Try something along 450lit internal size if you want real performance.

450 litres?

I dont think I have ever built a box that big in my life!

but it would probably do the job...

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 10:51pm
That is not too big for a double 18.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>