Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gain Structure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gain Structure
    Posted: 05 March 2022 at 10:26pm
Hello everyone
I bought a QSC MX3000A with 1200w/8ohm stereo and 2 void v18's, each 1000w/8ohm so 2000w/4ohm. 
When i put my gain on not even 1/3 my amp already starts clipping. A friend said to me i should set up the gain structure correctly but I don't know anything about that. (It's only for my subs and kick in one cabin, the mid section and top section did a friend for me). 
Can anyone give me a bit more info about how to set up gain structure? And for this amp and driver?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2022 at 10:55pm
Hello, can you list the other equipment you are using, and the type of cabinet the Void drivers are in? Fyi, MX3000a is 800wpc@8ohms.

Edited by Lucasdude - 05 March 2022 at 10:56pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2022 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Aymara Aymara wrote:

When i put my gain on not even 1/3 my amp already starts clipping.
The gain on what? The mixer or the amp? 

What equipment is in your signal chain?
How is the amp configured? Are you driving 1 speaker per channel or is the amp bridged?
How are you powering this amp? 120v or 220v?

If you don't have it configured for 220v operation you're wasting your time IMO, because you need the bridged output to fully drive those speakers and you can't get that from a 120v circuit.

Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2022 at 11:14pm
Gain on the mixer, i always put the gain on the amp on maximum
And i power it with 220v, and i put 2 drivers/channel (not bridged) just for now cause i don't have a limitter yet. 
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 1:18am
That amp is not ideal for subwoofer use, and certainly not in the way that it sounds like you want to use it. However, the more info you provide, the more likely it is that someone may be able to help you. I've read your last post a few times, and I'm more confused than I was after the first one!

Edited by Lucasdude - 06 March 2022 at 1:19am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 2:59am

Gain on the mixer, 

Ok... so what is the mixer? And is there anything else between the mixer and amp?

This amp only needs 1v input for full output according to the specs which means it will reach full output at or below 0dB signal level on many mixers. And the signal is the only thing that matters.. not the control positions, that is what setting gain stages correctly for your equipment is all about. 
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

That amp is not ideal for subwoofer use, and certainly not in the way that it sounds like you want to use it. However, the more info you provide, the more likely it is that someone may be able to help you. I've read your last post a few times, and I'm more confused than I was after the first one!

Really!? I’ve heard nothing but good stories about MX3000/MPX 1200 in bridge?

Definitely wouldn’t be putting 2 v18s on one channel but on bridge I would see that as a fine setup! 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 10:03am
"When i put my gain on not even 1/"

Do you mean the actual channel Gain - or channel sliders? And what is your setup, ie do you have an LMS or xover?

You really need to give more information. A chain is a chain - it has several links, not just a mixer and amp!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 10:19am
Sorry for al the confusion
My setup is jb systems talent mixer - behringer dcx2496 - qsc mx3000a - void v18 1000
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 10:21am
And LucasDude: I heard that that amp is ideal for sub! Almost everyone i know with pd1850 uses that one
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 10:51am

And LucasDude: I heard that that amp is ideal for sub! Almost everyone i know with pd1850 uses that one

I would be surprised if an amp with a damping factor of 200 and a manual that only quoted  4 ohm bridged out @1khz and not 20-20 as it does for its other specs is ideal for subwoofer  use, but tbh I haven't used one.
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 11:57am
So the qsc mx3000a isn't ideal at all for sub? And i heard that you can bridge it at 4ohm, the factory just didn't put it on the sheet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>