Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear that substitutes a reggae preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 2:41am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Jesus Kiddie-having sex Christ...

a 'reggae pre-amp' as i've seen it is more a stereo-in X-Over than the mixing desks that up-above have posted.

Shagger's idea of using a 9088 is kinda simple. if you can achieve it with discreet components (LIKE THE REAL 'REGGAE PRE AMPS') then it can be achieved with a soundweb with the added bonus of flexibility/resale value.

If you NEED it to be analogue then you're about 17 years too late.

Biggest issue with the desk solutions is that you have no way of separating the frequency bands of the EQ into your separate drivers like a 'Reggae PreAmp' does. How do you plan to stop your scoops from playing 15kHz with a desk?

TBH

I see more mono kit, the whole system becomes a VERY musical instrument at the hands of the crew, a good sound (as in sound guy) will blend a CD to 1 worn out 7" and back with a fluid motion, a Soundweb gives 8in>8out, you can build what ever programs you want (Comps, parametrics, Xovers, mutes, FX punch overs) and pul them to 8 controls, add a touchcreen laptop or iPad to the you 8 input suface can be anything, the 9000 unit go for nothing and add 8 more "control ins" (or you can build a 20 control surface and use RS-232) I look at what Pre's get used for and a Soundweb with a "creative" face and a "tech" LMS to interface the amps ticks so many boxes.....

I agree, analogue is dead, to many compromises and no flexibility, people look at Reggae culture as backward, they are So wrong, Reggae stubbornness, brute force innovation and creativity has probably contributed more to current pro audio than can ever be believed, these guys were dropping low and singing sweet before any brand name of PA we use today had built it's first box.....

The reason a good sound system can hold it's own is simply the bit between the Pre and the floor, tech wise you can tear many holes, but on the they deliver, every night...

Wouldn't wanna hear them mix Van Halen, but would LOVE to hear them play Van Halen!!!

Smile

Edited by shagnasty - 19 January 2016 at 2:42am
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 2:56am

a 'reggae pre-amp' as i've seen it is more a stereo-in X-Over than the mixing desks that up-above have posted.

Shagger's idea of using a 9088 is kinda simple. if you can achieve it with discreet components (LIKE THE REAL 'REGGAE PRE AMPS') then it can be achieved with a soundweb with the added bonus of flexibility/resale value.

Biggest issue with the desk solutions is that you have no way of separating the frequency bands of the EQ into your separate drivers like a 'Reggae PreAmp' does. How do you plan to stop your scoops from playing 15kHz with a desk?

As said before there must be a separate signal processor later in the chain.

Still its a cheap way to get a thing that works in many ways like a reggae preamp by getting two mixers and a crossover. Trust me, I use one atleast monthy and theres no problems with it and it has cost me a lot less than a "real" reggae preamp. You can also do things with a mixer based pre you cant on a traditional reggae preamp.

There are different ways of doing things...

edit. And I dont use scoops LOL
edit2. Im afraid of digital mixers etc. I like limitations in a way,you sort of need to be more creative with limited resources. My resources (money) is very limitedBig smile

Edited by app - 19 January 2016 at 2:59am
"what!?"
pdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 6:39am
"Don't bring a Navy Seal to an SAS fight" has to be one of the comments of the year so far.Smile
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Don't do Drugs, I get in enough trouble with booze and caffeine...

The guy made a dick comment, i called him.

My argument was about his retarded comment, we know the difference between semi and full Para.

My comment stands, people from 3rd world countries (in particular that one which is currently cause so much global havoc) need to mind their mouth, it was more an exercise in don't bring a navy seal to an SAS fight...

"3rd world country"??

Man - you are on drugs! Or cut back on that coffee and sugar - it´s warping your mind. Look at what my location says.

And if you look at my previous post (or actually bother reading any of the posts before piling in), you´ll see that I linked to this:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Vintage-EQ-Altec-1905A-Klark-Teknik-5-Band-Parametric-Equalizer-/301844792482?rmvSB=true

Is that enough of a parametric for you?

Gotta love this forum.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 9:51am
Originally posted by app app wrote:

As said before there must be a separate signal processor later in the chain.

Still its a cheap way to get a thing that works in many ways like a reggae preamp by getting two mixers and a crossover. Trust me, I use one atleast monthy and theres no problems with it and it has cost me a lot less than a "real" reggae preamp. You can also do things with a mixer based pre you cant on a traditional reggae preamp.

There are different ways of doing things...

edit. And I dont use scoops LOL
edit2. Im afraid of digital mixers etc. I like limitations in a way,you sort of need to be more creative with limited resources. My resources (money) is very limitedBig smile

my scoops got passive crossovers in them LOLLOLLOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"3rd world country"??

Man - you are on drugs! Or cut back on that coffee and sugar - it´s warping your mind. Look at what my location says.

My apologies, for some reason I thought your location read United States, my bad...

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 11:05am
Ok, no problem. So you don´t like our US cousins then? I´m sure that they´re not all like Trump!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 11:55am
A few tours with them and you realize the reason they are only allowed half mains voltage!!! LOL
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 1:38pm
In my opinion, you either go fully 'new skool' i.e. everything happens inside a computer and you have midi controllers doing the job of a pre-amp. This costs plenty and reliability could be a concern, but it also opens up a world of possibilities.

Or you get a proper preamp.

The 'in between' options tend to overlook the fact a preamp should be played like an instrument, rather than left in the background as a system controller (LMS style).

Anything in between I'd rather forget it altogether and stick to a normal DJ mixer > LMS setup. Just my personal view.

Edited by darkmatter - 20 January 2016 at 1:40pm
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 2:18pm
i use a main mixer,then eq then lms, i feed the lms back into mixer and assign the bus outputs for the sub and kick and rest on mid highs, then my source i run threw a small mixer with kills on and effects also so can mute the mid top and leave the bass going and this only effects the source, added bonus is also got 2  separate send and returns , so i use extra Roland echo on this and can add effects on any channel needed, half the price of a pre,much more control and can eq each section,ajust x over points, and fully time align the whole sound ,running it 6 way mono all xlr connections and works very well with no reliability issues over last couple of years ,

Edited by paulus - 20 January 2016 at 3:03pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

In my opinion, you either go fully 'new skool' i.e. everything happens inside a computer and you have midi controllers doing the job of a pre-amp. This costs plenty and reliability could be a concern, but it also opens up a world of possibilities.

Or you get a proper preamp.

The 'in between' options tend to overlook the fact a preamp should be played like an instrument, rather than left in the background as a system controller (LMS style).

Anything in between I'd rather forget it altogether and stick to a normal DJ mixer > LMS setup. Just my personal view.

A mixer was played like an instrument and it created a thing called dub. So "dissing" mixer based "ghetto pre" as an instrument vs preamp makes no senseSmile

Edited by app - 20 January 2016 at 8:17pm
"what!?"
m0gsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0gsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 11:19pm
Rigsmith is making a parametric, filter and kill switch 1U stereo box for use with an LMS. Worth checking out as a budget option.

Edited by m0gsi - 20 January 2016 at 11:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>