Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear that substitutes a reggae preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 1:03am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

In my opinion, you either go fully 'new skool' i.e. everything happens inside a computer and you have midi controllers doing the job of a pre-amp. This costs plenty and reliability could be a concern, but it also opens up a world of possibilities.

Or you get a proper preamp.

The 'in between' options tend to overlook the fact a preamp should be played like an instrument, rather than left in the background as a system controller (LMS style).

Anything in between I'd rather forget it altogether and stick to a normal DJ mixer > LMS setup. Just my personal view.

Doing it inside a PC is near impossible without a face off Waves engine, even the best soundcard solutions (PCI-e or Firewire) offer latency that is not gonna cut it as a Pre, we have all heard the car crash that is Mainstage, you need a dedicated DSp minus the fluff of an OS, a BSS Soundweb would be Rock solid, is cheap second hand and is gig proven, you may also get away with a X32 Rack (cheap 22>14 DSP) and custom OSK layer to a midi panel in the X32 edit stylee, personally I would never use the outs of ANY digital Desk (SSL, Midas (Proper, NOT Behringer) Soundcraft (Vi, not jizz) or Digico, let alone teh other ones (Yes, Avid,Yamaha, Presonus) as an LMS, but if you must, an X32 is the cheapest and most control accessible option, but TBH for a Pre, all a bit too much....

List waht you want it to do, and look at what a Soundweb does.....

Edited by shagnasty - 21 January 2016 at 1:16am
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 7:13am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

I would use an 8-16 channel analogue mixing desk with multiple groups on it, set up as follows:
- Music/mic sources, sirens and effects returns plugged into first few channels (eg 1-6) and routed to stereo bus. Overall EQ of sources can be done on the channel EQ's and any compressors/channel strips for mics etc connected to the insert points.
-Effects sends are plugged into the aux sends of the desk.
-Stereo bus feeds a crossover.
-Outputs of crossover (eg a 4 way) are brought back into last few channels of the desk (eg 12-16) and routed *not* to stereo bus but individually to group busses 1-4, which are also *not* routed to stereo. EQ for each box in the system can be done on the channel parametrics, and/or graphic EQ's on the insert points.
-Each group output then feeds a limiter, if desired, and then on to the relevant amplifier. So no matter what you do on the faders, the limiter is still the last thing in the chain and can protect your drivers.

In this way, any source or an entire band of the system can be fed to your effects units, everything can be EQ'd as you like, and you have a nice set of faders to control your system levels on. Any source that's already band-limited (eg sirens, your reverb/delay return) could be routed directly to the appropriate cabinets, bypassing the crossover. Thusly, you could have a full-range siren or delay tail going on, even while a music band is killed on the faders. Lots of possibilities!
Seen,
this is what I want to do with an Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 16 rack mountable mixer.
I was thinking the crossover output could come into 4 channels and go directly out the direct outs. The modern Mix Wizards don't seem to have buses. Maybe get a tech to remove the stereo bus assignment buttons from those crossover channels to avoid accidentally causing feedback.
Mix Wizards have 2 channels of built in effects which seems handy. Echo etc.
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 7:35am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

A whole lot of crap here from people that haven't a clue what a Pre is used for and how...

A soundweb with a panel, yes....

A F**king MixWizz, stroll on.......

I plan on using a Mix Wizard. Seems more flexible than a reggae pre amp. Easily incorporate live horns and other instruments. Heaps of inputs (16).
Can you explain your aggressive objection?
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by dj jammin dj jammin wrote:

Good luck to anyone trying this out.. your gonna waste so much time and money on it..  most of the above suggestions don't come anywhere near the functionality of a proper reggae pre..  fair play to App, he gets it and has worked out a proper solution..  best listen to App I reckon... 
Can you be more specific. What would you miss out on with a Mix Wizard, crossover, filters for sweeps. The MW has advantages. Lots of inputs, built in effects, etc.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 12:45pm
Tbh, if you haven't got a pre, and never used one, you don't know what you are missing....
Borrow a pre, become familiar with it, and then recreate it using different outboard gear. Many have.
Sometimes experience sorts the boys from the men....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 1:10pm
A mix wizard (from what i understand) is a mixer. A mixer is not a reggae preamp. To get the functionality of a preamp you will need other equipment and some way of wiring it all together. This is where a preamp excels.. it does everything you need in one box without all those wires.. the bit it doesn't do- the effects is ideal really as you can pick and choose and change the effects you want to use.  

The MW has advantages. Lots of inputs, built in effects, etc.  

Have you ever tried using the built in effects of any mixer etc for sound system and had good results? I strongly doubt it.. 
Lots of inputs.. for what? Preamp has all the inputs you need.. if you need more plug a mixing desk into the preamp..

Like Valve said:  if you haven't got a pre, and never used one, you don't know what you are missing.... 

Reverence Sound system

valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 2:04pm
Roman posted he produces music, so I assume he has knowledge of mixers, eq and send/returns etc. What should be realized is that the original concept of a pre was born within a studio, then neatly packaged into one handy box. Anyone with this knowledge should be able to reverse engineer a pre and come out with the functionality equaling a pre. App seems to have, as did I back in the day.

Big up Reference Sound System....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Tbh, if you haven't got a pre, and never used one, you don't know what you are missing....
Borrow a pre, become familiar with it, and then recreate it using different outboard gear. Many have.
Sometimes experience sorts the boys from the men....
I've got sound system associates that could let me experience hands on time with a professional reggae pre amp. Good idea. Maybe I will learn some of the quirks that makes these things so highly spoken of. I can't see too much mystery myself.
Shimad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shimad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 11:35am
At Reggaebus festival in Belgium last week, someone was promoting his software, designed to replace preamp..
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2019 at 9:07pm
Yeah, that'll be AmpFreqq!!!

Very usable too!!!

check it out!

https://reggaepreamp.com/products/

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 8:25am
just saw this thread, most DAW's and modular synth platform can be transformed in a preamp.
I've made a "mini" web pre few years ago (could/should expand to an equivalent of ampfreqq if I had the time :) )

Somebody has made a similar google chrome plugin (can't find it back now, though).

Ampfreqq look great, but I find it a bit expensive for what it is (given that anyone can do the same with any audio modular system...) but eh it's a great and pretty complete solution for people that don't want to take the time to build something up.

My dream would be to do a full software pre running on a computer, with a big audio interface for the in/outs and a custom midi controller. Put that in a preamp-looking box (with a small enough PC) and boom! you've killed it (yeah I'm a software dev)

Nothing can touch that preamp feel though, with knobs and kill switches :)
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 4:34pm
Google

"AmpFreqq".... 

software pre, 85 quid.
then run thru a crossover... 

Edited by BigSoundNorthWest - 05 January 2020 at 4:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>