Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

General setting for biamp 2x15”+2”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 7:34pm
Ok I have always been of the impression that passive filters eat up some of the output so I thought I could get the eminence cab play almost as loud as the Event 6000 ...

Edited by serioussound - 23 February 2019 at 7:46pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

Ok I have always been of the impression that passive filters eat up some of the output so I thought I could get the eminence cab play almost as loud as the Event 6000 ...

an L-pad will waste some power, but it will affect the sensitivity as much as an active filter.

BTW the eminence driver is almost identical to the RCF driver up to about 600Hz, above that the higher Le of the eminence causes the power response to fall off - on axis sensitivity is only maintained because of beaming. try crossing over lower.

Edited by snowflake - 23 February 2019 at 8:09pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I don't think a lack of gain on the HF would be a bad thing here!  The P Series are internally configurable between 26dB gain, 0dbu or +6dBu sensitivity.

but without know what the amp sensitivities are set to we've no idea if -10dB on the LMS is near the right setting for the HF. set them both to 26dB will be easiest
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 8:21pm
Im pretty sure they are all set to 0dbu ..
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:24pm
RCF L15P530:

Delta15LFA:

Both drivers measured on effectively an 'infinite baffle', 1W/1m.

At say 500Hz, the Delta15LFA is about 95dB, the RCF is about 98-99dB.  I'm fairly sure at some point in the past I've played with both drivers, albeit not done a direct comparison and that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 6:03am
impedance of those 2 is way different too.. 3-5 ohm variance within passband, Le is much lower on the rcf aswell, its quite possible the "efficiency" of those rcfs is based on that "advantage" compared to the emi drivers..

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 10:24am
It doesn't really matter what the parameter differences are that are causing the lower efficiency, they're all interdependent anyway.  Add in a lower power handling from the smaller voice coil and the maximum output is much lower too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 3:07pm
The sesitivity on the P 1200 amp was set to +6dbu. When I changed all amps to 0 db I must say the eminence tops sounds kind of okay.

hf gain is set to -11 dB before changiong sensitivity it was set to -7 dB.

I really like the sound of the Event 6000 but the cabs are terribly big...

I cant get them up on the dual 18 subs .....

The eminencecabs are no problems lifting up..
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

The sesitivity on the P 1200 amp was set to +6dbu. When I changed all amps to 0 db I must say the eminence tops sounds kind of okay.

hf gain is set to -11 dB before changiong sensitivity it was set to -7 dB.

I really like the sound of the Event 6000 but the cabs are terribly big...

I cant get them up on the dual 18 subs .....

The eminencecabs are no problems lifting up..

ignore if you realise this, but you do understand that setting two amps with different max output to the same input sensitivity will give different ammounts of gain to each amp. sensitivity is defined as the voltage required to achieve max output voltage.

looking at the response plots you may want to turn the HF down even more to -14 or -15 with the amps set as you have them now.

the eminence response plot looks funny to me though - should be just as sensitive as RCF at 200Hz according to T/S specs. the eminence actually has a higher power rating despite smaller coil and almost identical gap height - maybe preconditioning at this high power level means that the eminence voice coil was a lot hotter when the sensitivity plot was taken.

anyway, apart from that, the RCF driver is unboubtedly superior in terms of chasis, magnet, and cone strength.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 3:17pm
My Event 6000 is more powerful than the Eminence cabs but I really like the portability of the smaller Eminence cabs. What do you suggest for upgrading them to closer level of the Eminence? Can I keep HF horn and driver and put in more powerful 15" for example?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 4:13pm
work out what the internal volume of the cabs is and people may be able to suggest some suitable drivers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 4:36pm
Its about 140 litres internal volume
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>