Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator question
    Posted: 13 February 2019 at 8:13pm
I'm not sure I can afford it but i'm gonna see if I can, but where I live no halls allow parties anymore so I can't use my pa system anywhere. I'm thinking about buying a generator to do parties outdoors under a marquee but i'm not sure what power one i'd need, i'm running four QSC RMX4050HD amps, one to power a pair of 12" dj monitor speakers, one to power the mid/high speakers and to to power four dual 18" RCF L18P300 loaded subs with one sub per channel.

I know I can get away with a smaller generator for the lighting but pa system wise i'm not sure, would this one do?

carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2019 at 9:48am
I'd say nope - genny needs to be able to cope with the peak current draw - you're looking at up to 80 amps from 4 4050s I think. Less with your setup above, but still that genset is not strong enough. Also noisy, and not well built. Will work on some level buuuut....

10kW upwards diesel would be more like it. If you go down petrol route, the only reason would be so you can convert to LPG and run 47kg gas bottles.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2019 at 9:54am
you need a 10KW oh higher power Diesel Generator with AVR

Usually we use a diesel generator with about 2x the power we need to draw. This will minimize strain on the generator and will result in a more stable power delivery.
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 8:09pm
Out of those 4 amps only those driving the subs are going to go anywhere close to drawing full power so the reality of the situation is yeah you could power this rig off that 8kw genny.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 8:45pm
Indeed minimum you would need a generator with AVR, and even then it can be tricky (I know for myself Embarrassed).
Also putting some load on each phase is never wrong, so that the generator is always working under ballast.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:40am
Thanks for your replies people I apreciate it sorry I didn't reply before now i've been away on a break. So about a 10KW generator at minimum to be safe and it has to have AVR, ok thanks. What do you mean by each phase?

Edited by Fred_dibna - 24 February 2019 at 10:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply