Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New sound system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New sound system
    Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:30pm
Ok, I'm planning a good quality sound system but there are some issues.  

Drivers we have now:
2 x P.audio bmd740 2" drivers + big 60 x 40 horns
4 x RCF L12L750 mids

I think these are good for 100...150Hz and up. MT122 type enclosures. 

4 x RCF LF18X400, two hog scoops allready done using these drivers..  

However, it will leave some gap around 70...120Hz.  So kicks is needed.. I have two RCF L15S800 drivers too which should be ok for Cubo / HD15 / Martin 115 type horns. 

So what's left? Two LF18X400 and some other 18 inch drivers.  Two more hogs or two X1 bandpass for special indoor use?   
I have one 2x18 quasi 6th order bandpass enclosure laying around, I tested it with these RCF drivers and it really gives SICK amount of spl but quite narrow freq. range around 35-55Hz. 

My sound system well be used in both, outdoor and indoor.  Hogs / horns are indeed better in outdoor as they have what they call "throw", because of larger radiation area and thus they have more directivity especially if stacked.

So difficult to decide what to do, any suggestions? :D

Edited by Tonskulus - 16 October 2017 at 2:37pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 6:37pm
hmm..

an mt122 with ferrite drivers really aint fun to stack+is quite inflexible in therms of stacking etc. - smt121s, pole mountable with optional 12" extension for mono groundstacks seems the most flexible and suitable option for you needs and drivers?

15s800s are reflex drivers basically but might work ok in a ported/non ported "hybrid" FLH (w-bin) to either cover the gap in full stack or beeing used on their own if required for smaller setups..

18x400 seems suitable for horn/scoop loading or bp6 cabs, imo 4 hogs in a monoblock are not too bad indoors, even better outdoors, depending on stacking/array obviously..

if i was you i`d go with 4 hogs, 2 matching/suitable sort of w-bins and modular smt112/212s.. :)

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

hmm..

an mt122 with ferrite drivers really aint fun to stack+is quite inflexible in therms of stacking etc. - smt121s, pole mountable with optional 12" extension for mono groundstacks seems the most flexible and suitable option for you needs and drivers?

15s800s are reflex drivers basically but might work ok in a ported/non ported "hybrid" FLH (w-bin) to either cover the gap in full stack or beeing used on their own if required for smaller setups..

18x400 seems suitable for horn/scoop loading or bp6 cabs, imo 4 hogs in a monoblock are not too bad indoors, even better outdoors, depending on stacking/array obviously..

if i was you i`d go with 4 hogs, 2 matching/suitable sort of w-bins and modular smt112/212s.. :)

Yes, I was actually thinking and worried about the weight of two huge ferrite 12's in a same big enclosure. 
So you are right.. maybe I should just make 2"+ 1x12" and optional 1x12" having same tuning and box volume to match each other if needed.

My system will be used in stereo mode mostly, no "all-together" mono stacks. :)

Post Reply Post Reply