Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boomtown Micro Venue Applications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boomtown Micro Venue Applications
    Posted: 18 October 2017 at 2:53pm
Hi,

Notice applications are opening soon and we are keen to try and get involved. Has anyone any experience applying for this? More specifically:

Any idea how competitive it is? 

What do we need to provide? Tent, lighting, DJ's, decor? We can do as much do as little as needed.

Is it good fun? Or can it turn into quite a long shift?

In short we just want to get the rig there in some capacity! The rig isnt the biggest but can cover 100-200 people fine. Looking to swap out subs for 4no. SBH in the next few months too.

Any input appreciated. 

Cheers

Edited by rosssss224 - 18 October 2017 at 2:57pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:19pm
i haven't been there in a few years (i had a system there in 2010 and 2011). it's not about rigs / systems. they're into themes and stuff. you need to make your whole venue the plan. not just "we want to bang out tunes". they're into decor and costume and all that stuff. look at some of the videos of some of the smaller venues from other years to see the type of stuff other people have done, and try to come up with something new.

i'd say they'll be more inclined to go with it if you already have a presence, if you're running themed nights somewhere or that type of thing.

they'll also give you a stern list of limitations on what you can bring etc. when i was there it was 4 nights, which is a long slog really.

it's a tight ship and well run too. so if they say the site's closed, it is. if they say you can't park / camp wherever.. you can't. (maybe all festivals in uk are like that heh, not really over here..).

but it is fun.

get creative.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:20pm
or else you find someone else who's got all the flamboyance and vision etc, but no sound system, and you become their sound crew.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:37pm
Great thanks - I should add we have some ideas of a theme / concept however it isnt tried and tested (as of yet) but we do have experience running numerous events.

The concept should fit into the old town theme, involves some audience participation if they want and is limitless in terms of how detailed the decor etc would be.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 7:26pm
i had nothing to do with dealing with the festival i should say. the crew i went with do a lot of festivals over here, and have a name as a venue, and boomtown invited them based on reputation. so i went over as their sound provider / van driver / general crew.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 8:00pm
Where are you based? Maybe worth speaking to other crews that do it - i.e ASBO Disco, We Buy Gold/Air, Leisure Centre (which is no longer micro at all, cos it's Robotika and massive), Wrong Side of the Tracks lot, etc etc
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 9:05am
Based out of Edinburgh ( I live in manc now though) so could have a chat to Rinse but what you guys did was far from micro!

I know Samedia Shebeen are Edinburgh based too and might have some links to them.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 11:24am
This is the kind of vibe they want....

Edited by Sinai Sound - 19 October 2017 at 11:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply