Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to stop a sub from trying to walk off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:52pm
I've used rubber sheet like this before http://r.ebay.com/VCD8tC - not sure how long it would last permanently mounted but definitely more heavy duty than the tool matt stuff (more expensive though obviously).
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:25pm
For installs we used to do things a bit more basic....  Metal brackets and just screw the subs together.  One each side at the front and one at the back.

I did a rig link-up party once and the mid tops kept walking off the top of the bass bins.  Ratchet straps weren't effective but a cordless drill and half a dozen no.8 screws soon resolved the problem!
Sam Bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:54pm
Like i previously said the design is braced quite well already but if anyone has any suggestions where my weak spots may be from this pic it would be helpful? Everything is 18mm bb birch ply,  apart from the baffle which is 25mm. Its all routed, gorilla glued & screwed.

Originally posted by colinmono colinmono wrote:

I've used rubber sheet like this before http://r.ebay.com/VCD8tC - not sure how long it would last permanently mounted but definitely more heavy duty than the tool matt stuff (more expensive though obviously).

Do you know where larger sizes are available from? This is far more along the lines of what i was thinking but would need 2 patches about 600mm*800mm? 

If anyone's seen Texas Ranger George Herold or Ranger Sergeant Richard Ware tell them I'm still looking for them...
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 12:11am
My cabs were a very similar design, I'm surprised you're having much issue with them.  Have you considered routing some rebates on the top of one and adding runners/rubber feet to the bottom of the other so that they interlock?  Common feature on the big name boxes.
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Sam Bass Sam Bass wrote:

Do you know where larger sizes are available from? This is far more along the lines of what i was thinking but would need 2 patches about 600mm*800mm? 

Not used this supplier so you might want to get a sample before you buy a big sheet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141652497887
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 9:06am
If its rubber sheet you want find a supplier that stocks EPDM single ply roofing rubber. They'll have bits that size as off cuts. Or end of rolls.

Specify it cant have a lap in it where two sheets join and use the thicker one (normally about 1.5mm)

I use plytech in exeter. Speak to dan.

Jon
Sam Bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

My cabs were a very similar design, I'm surprised you're having much issue with them.  Have you considered routing some rebates on the top of one and adding runners/rubber feet to the bottom of the other so that they interlock?  Common feature on the big name boxes.

Iv previously owned Martin Audio WS218x and WS18x cabs which are also very similar also and they both walk about when you start chucking power into them. 

I know what your saying about the rails/ runners but with this project they will basically always be on their own on the floor with poles and 12"/2" tops above so interlocking isn't really an issue. 

Originally posted by Sam Bass Sam Bass wrote:

Not used this supplier so you might want to get a sample before you buy a big sheet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141652497887

Sweet man, thanks, just ordered a sample of the 6mm to see how grippy it is! Smile
If anyone's seen Texas Ranger George Herold or Ranger Sergeant Richard Ware tell them I'm still looking for them...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12