Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover frequencies 4-way system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KlaasBlackPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover frequencies 4-way system
    Posted: 24 October 2017 at 11:57am
Greetings each and everyone,

We are currently in the building of our own "preamp", but this will require us to open up the 4-way crossover we are currently using and replace it with a spare behringer dcx2496. This is a parametric analogue crossover (x1 and x10 buttons on the frequencies and 4 knobs to turn alongside 4 mute buttons for each crossover section)

Since this is an analogue crossover, it is less exact than the digitals. However since we're missing our crossover for now, we're wondering what are the best "exact" crossover settings to play a 4 way rig?

at this time we play it around 80 - 150 - 1250. but as it is a hassle to change the frequencies on the dcx I'd like to set them decently for once untill we can use our preamp thing. 

Blessed day to you all
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 1:17pm
Greetings,
Originally posted by KlaasBlackPaw KlaasBlackPaw wrote:

we're wondering what are the best "exact" crossover settings to play a 4 way rig?

-> it depends on your boxes really!

but as it is a hassle to change the frequencies on the dcx

what are you talking about? nothing easier!

What I suggest you to do is, find the theorical frequencies crossover (ie best suited for your boxes) and then try your system with thoses frequencies, and then adjust by ear to what sounds best to you!

The guys on here can assist in determining the frequencies that would roughly suit your boxes, but we'll need more details on your rig

Edited by JBK - 24 October 2017 at 1:17pm
KlaasBlackPaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KlaasBlackPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 9:50pm
Hey there,

thanks; makes sense I guess haha.

We're using 4x beyma 18g550 in scoops + 2x void 18" (dont know the exact model, these are from another crewmember.) inside miniscoops.

2x fane 15" bassdrivers in a selfmade 2-driver reflex bin + 2 more fanes coming soon in an individual 15" cabinet.

for our mids we use 4x emenence pd 12" in 2 standard mid boxes
and finaly 2 precision bullets & 4 tweeters we got from a friend in a horn & tweeterbox we use as midtop.

hope this helps? thx

blessed day
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 11:21pm

We're using 4x beyma 18g550 in scoops + 2x void 18" (dont know the exact model, these are from another crewmember.) inside miniscoops.
Don't do this, don't mix different drivers in different enclosure types in the same band.
Or is this a reggae system? If so ignore that the normal rules don't apply.

Edited by Conanski - 24 October 2017 at 11:23pm
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 10:31am
Supported, that's never a good idea to mix different speaker enclosures and or different drivers on the same frequency band.

You haven't given us enough info on the exact speaker models for us to guess the best Xover freqs. But on what you've said the one you already use seems to make sense, I would be worried about "tweeters" not going low enough to cover the 1.2Khz to 4-6KHz range, which is crucial for the vocal range but maybe you have some compression drivers?

To precise what I suggested before, instead of setting the xover frequency by ear it's better to measure with a mic and rta software (do some research for more info) but as not anyone can / is willing to do that, doing it by ear is still better than nothing.

But we really need precise and complete info otherwise we can't help you

Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Don't do this, don't mix different drivers in different enclosure types in the same band.

lol LOL
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 7:30am
jokes on me really though.... don't even own a system atm Cry
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 1:03pm
i'm sure he means it's more difficult to be precise when turning a knob with a big range, than inputting exact values into a digital one.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:14pm
but why would you.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

3 different types of scoop and 3 different pairs of drivers all runnin on same band  i personally wudnt do it this way but i was there and it was thunderin LOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
KlaasBlackPaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KlaasBlackPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:51pm
Greetings,

sorry for the late reply; been busy the last weeks.

As we are using boxes we bought from different people all around the country; I'm unsure what type of boxes exactly we use. So I'm afraid of going into specifics as I might be wrong about the types of the rigs.

The Beymas are only temporary as we already had them laying around from our BR enclosure bins. We bought scoops recently and are changing our drivers bit by bit everytime we sell one beyma, we buy a fane instead. 

If you want to take a guess, or see the rig you can find pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/BlackPawSoundsystem/photos/

and indeed, I meant it's not so precise to turn knobs instead of put digital inputs for x-over frequencies.
I'll post a picture of our setup later for more clarification.

Also, I always assumed it would be best to have your microphone outputs go to your midrange speakers; but tweeters are better? we do use compression drivers for our horns, not for our tweeters..

blessed day
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:25pm

Also, I always assumed it would be best to have your microphone outputs go to your midrange speakers; but tweeters are better? we do use compression drivers for our horns, not for our tweeters..

blessed day

Your mic goes into the inputs on your mixing desk, which will give some tonal control - usually at least bass/mid (with variable frequency)/treble; sometimes having 4 bands instead of 3 and sometimes having fully parametric control (especially on modern digital desk or larger analogue ones.

The output of your mixing desk then goes into your crossover/DSP where it is split into the right frequency bands for the speakers you're using.

Depending on the boxes you're using therefore, the vocal mics will end up with a bit of their output in all of the bands except subwoofers (for most sensibly configured systems at least).

HTH,
David.
 Post Reply Post Reply