Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ideas for new tops.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ideas for new tops.
    Posted: 29 October 2017 at 8:35pm
    Hello guys. I'm in process of choosing 12'' neo woofers for 6 new diy tops. I am between three models.
    The first is the b&c12ndl76 ,with very good specs ,but it goes up to 2000Hz (maybe it's ok but i'd like it to go higher for crossing my drivers to a higher x-over point).
    The second is the eminence kappalite3012ho ,very good driver ,but rather pricey here in Greece (around 240 euros).
    The third is the oberton 12nxl400 ,this was my favourite candidate ,but could not find them here and  if i order them elsewere ,shipping cost will be high (or not?).
    Another idea that i had is a diy cabinet with 2 or three 8''s ,something like the hk audio satellite mid-high ,the linear 5 lts. Has anyone built something like this? Seem to be very interesting though it's a long throw design.
    I had the chance to hear the actual cabinets (2 per side with their matched subs) and i was amazed with their sound quality even at 50-70 meters away.
    Waiting for your suggestions and ideas. Thanks in advance....
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 9:26pm
First of al what is the goal of the boxes? Big, medium or small events?
Do they need to be compact? What is the desired bandwidth? Do they need to be compact?
These are some of the questions that you have to ask yourself, to achieve the best suited solution.

I you're going for some front loaded 12" tops, I definitely wouldn't go for a high crossover point like 2000 Hz. I'm currently using two front loaded cabinets, with each a 12NW76 and a DE800, crossed at 1200 Hz. Until now they are pretty compact, and have nice overall SPL, and each weighing around 19,5 Kg.

If horn loaded is an option, mate look at the design of Peter Morris. Very high output mid/high, and usable till 100 Hz. One of the drawbacks may be the expensive BMS driver.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 9:47pm
something like the L5 LTS will need complex dsp settings to sound as good as you heard them, which isn't so DIY-able, unless you're a wiz
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 12:57pm
They 'll work as general purpose speakers for small to medium venues (weddings etc.) paired with four mth30s when needed. And yes ,I'd like them to be as compact as possible. My compression drivers are selenium d229ti's bolted on celestion h9040 horns. Peter morris plan is very interesting but with double 12s the cost goes really up.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 1:22pm
Just cross lower to the comp. sounds like you won't be pushing them that hard so the comp will be fine from 2k. Looks like the Oberton or b&c will fit the bill nicely
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 7:20pm
12NDL76 works absolutely fine in a 12"+1" compact mid-top.  That was pretty much my first ever mid-top project.  Crossover between 1.8 and 2.2kHz will be fine.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 8:53pm
funny Chris, exactly the boxes I was thinking of haha
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 11:19pm
Wink

Mine were a DE25 on XT1086 - lovely HF combo but that's another thread!
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 5:48am
Thanks everyone. Dear ceharden very nice combo ,but i have to settle on the components that i already own. Seems like i am leaning towards the b&c's. Are crossover calculators on the net accurate? Witch one is better?

Edited by d.antonis - 01 November 2017 at 5:50am
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 2:37pm
     I finally ordered the kappalites 3012ho. I'm thinking about crossing them at 2000 Hz. I used on line calculator for 2nd order crossover. I red that an l-pad is used if the compression driver in most cases is more sensitive than the woofer.
     If i am using a 400 watt amp ,what resistor wattage do i need for this attenuator circuit? and one last question.
     The zobel circuit. Is it necessary or it depends on the graphs of each woofer ,driver etc.

Thanks again...

Edited by d.antonis - 04 December 2017 at 2:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply