Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winding 2 cranks, same direction simultane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 6:47pm
I am wondering if I might not have explained myself very well? With hinged truss/scaf adaptors (have a look at the Powerdrive Ref68 and Ref69) you can wind each stand up a lot more than 6 inches at a time because, as you wind each stand up, the hinge on the adaptor allows the scaf/truss to tilt at an angle between the stands. Obviously, this transfers a fair chunk of the weight to the lower stand so it depends on how much kit you are flying and how much weight your stands can handle. My Easyhoists extend by about 1.5m and I can do them in about 3 trips. Wind the first stand up about 50cm, then wind the second stand up about 1m, back to the first stand and wind it up another meter to maximum height then back to the second stand and wind that up to max as well. All done and I didn't have to cart a 2m plank around. It also makes it a lot easier getting the truss onto the stands to start with. The downside is that the adaptors cost about as much as a lot of stands do.
Anyway, I hope that helps.
Down with signatures!
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:35pm
Thanks guys

I really appreciate the advice, I’m going to check out what you suggest, right now it’s just three meters of pipe but will upgrade to 4m of 2point trussing soon, I’m not being lazy it’s just some of these gigs with no stage the punters are nearly “ on stage “ with you and get arsey when you ask them to move.

Cheers.
Kev
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:45pm
It’s just pokey pub gigs I’m doing thanks.

Kev
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

EDIT 2 : Sorry for the multiple edits but you could try something like a pair of T-bars, one on each side.

This was the thought that I had whilst reading through the thread, why not have a pair of 1.5m T-bars as opposed to a 3m goalpost? It would also take up less room in the 'pokey pub gigs' as you've moved the stands inwards. And feel free to tell me to f*ck off 'cos I don't know what I'm on about but does a 'pokey pub' need so much lighting that you need 3 metres of stand/truss to hang it all off?

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

This was the thought that I had whilst reading through the thread, why not have a pair of 1.5m T-bars as opposed to a 3m goalpost? It would also take up less room in the 'pokey pub gigs' as you've moved the stands inwards. And feel free to tell me to f*ck off 'cos I don't know what I'm on about but does a 'pokey pub' need so much lighting that you need 3 metres of stand/truss to hang it all off?

The T-bars are also very prone to fall.

I have some experience using them in school plays.

I agree, they aren't at all stable unless used at a relatively low height. What about using a coupling to join the T-bars together after they've been raised? Obviously this would depend on accessibility (stepladder!LOL).
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 10:34pm
Hi guys

I’m trying to keep the center of the stage clear so it has to be two stands as far apart as possible. I have the Millenium bls2700, they are solid and stable.

Hand winding them is not a big deal apart from when the staff have placed tables or sofas in front of them.

I’m not bringing loads of lights in, four pars each side of the stage, then 6 spots and a few bits and pieces lighting us up from the back.

Hi jasonstry, Looks good that ref 69 thanks,

Thanks.

Edited by kevin tyler - 04 November 2017 at 10:44pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 10:45pm
Hi Kevin, you can see the hinge on these https://mypowerdrive.com/products/hinged-truss-mounting-pair-ref69-b ;
Food for thought for me as well if I dont have anyone with me
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 10:50pm
Thanks Ian.

I think for a 50mm single bar, The ref 68 are what I need right now, but they wouldn’t fit on to my 35mm stands without the adaptor. Will price it all up.

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 04 November 2017 at 11:02pm
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:02pm
If you are using single bar ali scaff, you can get big ben clamps (a 50mm half coupler fastened to a spigot) that are hinged and they don't take as much space up above the top of the scaff like the truss adaptors do. Doughty make one (T57227) that has a swivel built in as well as a hinge but still has a SWL of 200Kg and is a lot cheaper than the ref 68.
Down with signatures!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 2:07am
Thanks so much for that. I will check it out.

Cheers.

Kev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123