Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shops for flacs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shops for flacs
    Posted: 06 November 2017 at 5:00pm
I am trying to buy some older releases in lossless format and most of the places I normally buy from (Junodownload, Bleep, Bandcamp or BoomKat) don't seem to carry the things I'm looking for. Ideally I'd be able to get flacs but I'd take wavs at a push.

I'd prefer not to buy from apple unless it's absolute last resort as IMO they're a computer company with no business to be selling me music. Amazon seem to only sell mp3.

So, any ideas please? It seems easier to steal the music than actually buy it!
Don't test the champignon sound
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 5:37pm
I often purchase as WAV and then convert them to flac using a converter. I then tag them using mp3tag.

Amazons MP3's are fairly poor quality and I've had some badly quality Itunes tracks as well.

Edited by APW - 06 November 2017 at 6:21pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:23pm
Trackitdown.net? Though I think thats WAV or MP3 only (but what you want may be on there)
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 10:51pm
https://web.ilikemusic.com/

they supply bbc etc. but in wav.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:38pm
When you say "older releases" what genres do you mean?

Very good website called HD Tracks that sells flacs of a lot of old rock and pop stuff, as well as some current hits, wit the emphasis on quality. Theyre all CD quality 44.1KHz at a minimum, but often it has 96k 24bit or higher versions of classic albums and songs, I use a few tracks AES's into a PA and it sounds amazing. 

K
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 4:20pm
+1 for HD Tracks although I have had issues with licensing and albums not being available to UK with them.
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 5:31pm
Thanks very much for the suggestions so far, if there's any others then please let me know :)

I actually found HD tracks yesterday and it looks very good. Sadly, the things I wanted to buy they refused to sell because I was in France. I'll try again tomorrow from HK, hopefully that'll work better.

The things I'm after are mostly from the 80's or 90's but occasionally a bit older. There's a bunch of britpop, madchester, indie, pop and old pop dance stuff I'm after. I'd also like to get all the stuff that'd normally just get played off youtube when someone has a few too many and all their guilty pleasure musical tastes come out. Embarrassed

Can you hear the difference 24bit vs normal lossless? I'm interested and actually bought a few things and I'm not sure I can.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply