Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IEC Loudspeaker Rating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IEC Loudspeaker Rating
    Posted: 14 November 2017 at 7:46am
I have a pair of JBL M350s which are in good working order. They are rated at 350 watts IEC. Bearing in mind the rigorous standards of IEC testing I assume the IEC rating is equivalent to a higher AES rating. I'm just wondering how much power to deliver, I don't want to wreck them.

Is there an accepted rule of thumb for comparing IEC to AES/RMS?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 1:47pm
JBL's own guide to what their power specs mean is practically the first google result if you search for "IEC Loudspeaker Rating": Trying to un-bugger the link...
HTH,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 14 November 2017 at 3:02pm
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 2:51pm
Yes I've read that already thank you. On that basis do you think that 350 watts AES is equivalent to 350 watts IEC?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by AJ113 AJ113 wrote:

Yes I've read that already thank you. On that basis do you think that 350 watts AES is equivalent to 350 watts IEC?

Depends which version of AES you're referring to?

The original 1984 version used the same crest factor and HPF/LPF slopes as IEC, but only one decade rather than the "decade and a little bit" of the IEC. It's also only run for 2 hrs rather than the 8hrs JBL talk about. It also starts at the LF limit of the box, rather than at a standardised 40Hz, so the IEC may apply much more stress to drivers that are in boxes tuned higher than this.

The 2012 update of AES increases the crest factor, and also uses steeper slopes. That means a driver rated with this procedure can withstand higher peaks (along with the stated average), but has had more protection from overexcursion during the test. Therefore, it doesn't necessarily tell you how well the box will handle mis-use eg if you were to hook it up to an amp without an HPF etc.

The nice thing about standards is there are just soo many to choose from Wink (© Ivan Beaver, 1903)

Edited by DMorison - 14 November 2017 at 3:20pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by AJ113 AJ113 wrote:

I have a pair of JBL M350s which are in good working order. They are rated at 350 watts IEC. Bearing in mind the rigorous standards of IEC testing I assume the IEC rating is equivalent to a higher AES rating. I'm just wondering how much power to deliver, I don't want to wreck them.

All you have to do is look at the drivers in this box, they aren't highend so this box won't tolerate a lot of power or abuse. I suggest treating they have a 350w program rating where one could use a 500w amp but only with dynamic program material.
 Post Reply Post Reply