Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey MF1-X Recommended drivers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

The narrow slot suffers extreme air overload and makes loud 'quacking' (or 'bacon frying') sounds when driven hard.

Last night I paid close attention to this with my old Peavey SP2's. Yes, I did hear the distortion but only on some mp3's, some of my mp3's are super clean at any frequency so I would have to think it might depend on the audio source?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 11:48pm
To an extent, live music is much harder on the air overload issue.

The newer SP2 with the flat-front horn have no issues (no slot).

I gave away (or dumpster'd) all my Peavey horns with the narrow slots (some Community 2" horns too).
djk
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 12:08am
I had always thought that the slot was used to give a special type of sound or tone. One local guy has some bi-radial horns 21x12, I think those are EV so from a quality standpoint those would be better?
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 6:21am
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

The narrow slot suffers extreme air overload and makes loud 'quacking' (or 'bacon frying') sounds when driven hard.

Last night I paid close attention to this with my old Peavey SP2's. Yes, I did hear the distortion but only on some mp3's, 

Is there a different encoded bit rate on the mp3's you heard the distortion on or the ones you liked? 320 good 128 shit?

I have also wondered about how music is perceived by people in different parts of the world. I used to work production on large rock tours in the UK in the early 2000's and sometimes I would wonder why touring crews from the north americas  would run their EAW and Clair Bros rigs with in my opinion harsh top end and little bottom end.Maybe people in different parts of the world perceive audio differently. 

I have to say these guys from Montreal https://solotech.com/ really had the sound nailed properly with a Meyer Milo/mica setup though. 

mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

Is there a different encoded bit rate on the mp3's you heard the distortion on or the ones you liked? 320 good 128 shit?

Know something, I never thought of that, will look into it as I know which tunes are super clean and which has distortion, get back to you on this when next I play music on my rig, thanks!

I have also wondered about how music is perceived by people in different parts of the world. I used to work production on large rock tours in the UK in the early 2000's and sometimes I would wonder why touring crews from the north americas  would run their EAW and Clair Bros rigs with in my opinion harsh top end and little bottom end.Maybe people in different parts of the world perceive audio differently. 

I had read that thread in my initial searches.
Yes, different people have different perception and tastes, one man's meat.....
"Harsh top end" is common around here but especially the Caribbean guys focus on heavy and very loud bass as that is the way the music is played in most Caribbean countries.

You mentioned "Clair Bros" rigs, yes, a lot of guys who run big rigs use their equipment, most folks around here seem to use EAW KF tops and bottoms nowadays but believe it or not Martins MK111's are still in demand here and being used even with all of todays technologies [line arrays]. 

I am not a big believer in EAW KF series, there are better bass, mids and tops for my taste.

Edited by mikehende - 21 November 2017 at 12:09pm
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 12:17pm

I have to say these guys from Montreal https://solotech.com/ really had the sound nailed properly with a Meyer Milo/mica setup though.

Oh, looking at their site I am not seeing the setup you mentioned, can you guide me to it please?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 12:48am
"I had always thought that the slot was used to give a special type of sound or tone."

It's for dispersion in the top octave.
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12