Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone here ever used only horns as tops?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by cooky1257 cooky1257 wrote:

Haha you lot sound just as nerdy as the hifi fraternity-only in a different way.Tongue
The OP said 'for personal use' not PA.
Plenty of superb 15" + horns in audiophile land; TAD Exclusives, VOTT, JBL 9800Se, 66000, Tannoy DC's
And the JTR Noesis 215RT. A room full of these (7) used in a home theatre system at Axpona 2017 was voted one of the best rooms at the show.

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 3:38pm
Well if we're talking multiple drivers into one horn, technically I've done multiple shows using only horn and woofers recently with the Danley kit.
moyano View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 8:27pm
Look out for amgine acoustic, they are about to set new standards in the point source category.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by moyano moyano wrote:

Look out for amgine acoustic, they are about to set new standards in the point source category.
This harks back to an August 2014 'discussion' mentioning Amgine Acoustic:
https:///forum.speakerplans.com/show-off-your-sound-systempart-2_topic38351_page590.html
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 10:09pm

Where is it then?
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 10:55pm

You are a bad, bad man Lee Wink
moyano View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

You are a bad, bad man Lee Wink

I have thought about growing up but its still in the very early stages Big smile
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 4:16pm
We used to roll with this lot then God gave us philishaves..
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 4:33pm
Little known fact: 'Amgine' is a contraction of the words "I am a gineous'
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

Heard you needed some input/suggestions, and I'll happily share my thoughts on this topic.

First off let me just describe my stance regarding audio DIY in general.

Without curiosity or trying the "strongly not recommended" we would not have as much fun, or learn as much both for our selfs and from each other, and combining it with an empiric approach can be very rewarding (even if not always successful).

For the more serious parts, where people rely on you or trust you not to let them down there is another side, more serious and scientific, but still fun.

I'm not sure what the medical term would be for what happened to me when I got the Idea of slapping a 2" wide band driver most likely intended for use in cheap colorful desktop speakers on to a such a seriously professional device as the JBL 2386, worlds apart, it's simply not done, ever, it is... "strongly not recommended".

So naturally I simply just had to give it a try and it was both fun (to say the least) and a great learning experience, but most of all the result was not what I had expected.

I had no idea a 2" full range driver could get that loud but that's not the end of it, with a bit of EQ it sounded, well, tolerable, far better than expected.

A bit of splashing around 10-12k, and a bit of honkyness (technical audio term) from ~600 and down, that region also needed to be taken down a fair few dB's aswell.

All of this at moderate levels, indoors.

After having "designed" a simple inverted baffelstep compensation circuit (capacitor in parallel with a resistor) the amount of EQ that needed to be applied almost diminished and I found myself actually being able to live with it for a while.

It's was not even close to be usable in PA application for sure, although i could achieve some impressive levels (especially considering the driver used) and I cannot with good conscious classify it a s "hi-fi" even though the resolution was kind of impressive.

A bit more can be found here :
http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=02&y=15

It was a fun experiment, and if it costs you not much more than time I would recommend giving it a try, if for nothing else than to have a bit of fun.

I use a 3” full range driver on my large 2” tractrix for radio in my unit, I used a roll of parcel tape cardboard included as an adapter lol, but it does sound awesome, get some impressive gain from it, hazard a guess around 95db@1w so yeah not quite pa level but has a less fatiguing sound to it than a comp for low level stuff.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 03 December 2017 at 12:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678