Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Matrix UKP2100X fan went off then came back on?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix UKP2100X fan went off then came back on?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matrix UKP2100X fan went off then came back on?!
    Posted: 23 November 2017 at 8:14pm
Got a gig tomorrow and was going to use my two UKP2100X like I usually do, 8r bridged running a couple of cubo subs.
Tested them tonight as not run them for several months. They're kept in a lockup in a rack case with silica gel in there so very dry.
They're both working fine but on one of them the fan stopped, then started, then stopped and then started again and has been working since.

What could cause this?
This isn't something i want it to do when its chucking 2.1kw at my bass bin.

Would I be right in thinking the fan itself is OK and that the plug where it goes onto the PCB might need cleaning?

If it properly packed up mid gig would the amp thermally protect itself or would it melt and take my driver with it?

Any suggestions including where to get decent new fans from appreciated.... I've heard the fans aren't that great?

Cheers
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:20pm
i think the fans are on constantly on those. ebay? look up the model number of the fan that's on it, make sure you pick one the same size, voltage, and the same or higher cfu (airflow).

can swap the fans between the 2 to make sure the problem moves. worth getting 2 new fans seeing as the other one will be just as old.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

i think the fans are on constantly on those. ebay? look up the model number of the fan that's on it, make sure you pick one the same size, voltage, and the same or higher cfu (airflow).

can swap the fans between the 2 to make sure the problem moves. worth getting 2 new fans seeing as the other one will be just as old.

I'll try again tomorrow morning but so far its not repeated the fault. Yes they are on constantly.
I'm wary of using it in anger... not sure how effective thermal protection is at avoiding damage?

Will get the dims and specs off the fans tomorrow and look for new ones as I have another gig next weekend and defnitely don't want to be carting toroidal amps around if I can avoid it. neither UKP2100x amp has done much work, they're pretty much immaculate.

Maybe I'd be best just using the matrix which is working properly and using my berry EP2500 for the other sub.

Oddly the fans on both seemingly identical amps run at different speeds. The one which has played up runs quite fast and the other one runs much slower. Think they were always like that.
Looking inside there are some differences- one amp has about 4 small capacitors on the main board and the other just has two massive ones.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:45pm
I'm sure most matrix fans run at slow speed when cold and gradually get faster as they get hotter. If the amp is very much colder than room temp I suppose its possible the fan might stop before the heatsinks stabilise at idling temperature. So far I've seen Sunon and Adda fans in there, I prefer Sanyo, NMB, Panasonic or Papst.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:46pm
yep... there was a lot of random stuff being tried out in matrix amps from those days.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:03pm
Just tried it again and it's running fine. No sign of any fan issue.
It would've been about 10 degrees or less in there.

They both have Sunon fans. The slow running one is 1.8w and the faster one which has played up is 5w. So I guess anything between those two wattages will do. 100mm screw spacing, 12v.

Will look up some of those brands you mentioned kevin thanks.

Are sunon fans a bit pants then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:38am
So the fans on both amps are these:

Sunon PMD1208pt V1a. 12v 5w
Sunon KD1208pts1 13gn 1.8w 12v

I found this papst fan on RS components... It has slightly better performance than the lower power fan of the two. What do you think?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/2005861/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:58am
Found this one which looks better... its airflow sits in the middle between the two Sunon fans used in my amps.

Good to go?

http://cpc.farnell.com/papst/8412ngh/fan-80mm-12vdc/dp/MF67545
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:35am
tried contacting matrix direct? phone them, chat on the phone and they should be able to guestimate whats wrong [if anything], and they are very good at sending parts out fast!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

tried contacting matrix direct? phone them, chat on the phone and they should be able to guestimate whats wrong [if anything], and they are very good at sending parts out fast!

I've emailed robin last night, he was very helpful when I first bought them and couldn't find out what their input sensitivity was (due to there being no manual available and they have a permanently engaged clip limiter so you can't do it the simple way of unplugging the speakers and seeing at what input level the amp starts to clip).
Will see what he says, might call as well.

Meantime I've bridged my SAE PQM13 to run them. It's like 4.5kw X 2 bridged so I've substracted 6db off the band it's running off (daisy chained the signal using the link sockets on the amp) which should halve the power and make it a similar power the UKP2100X running flat out.

Edited by charlysays - 24 November 2017 at 2:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:46am
Did the gig no problem... so I guess it must have been the regulator (sensors on the output devices) getting momentarily spun out by the cold temps.
Have got a papst fan which I picked up from farnell so I might replace the weaker fan with this for better cooling- despite being the same amp for some reason one has a fan of 1.8w and the other 5w. Air flow is similarly different at 0.65m3/h vs ab about 0.95m3/h. The papst fan I have is 0.79m3/h so definitely an upgrade.

Post Reply Post Reply