Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spectrum analyzer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spectrum analyzer
    Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:06pm
Hi everybody,

first of all i m very thankful for robs plans and your knowledge so i could complete my system..big thanks everybody.

as the system is finished now, new questions rise. with a friend of mine who is technician we did the basic tuning of the system with smaard. but if i will go  to venues without his equipment, still want the sound to be good.

so i m looking for a app to do quick and dirty tuning checks. so for this kind of job he uses an ipad with the analyzer app by onyx: http://spectrumanalyzerapp.com/

personally i prefer andorid stuff because i love lineage os.

So is there any comparable app for android to do this job?

best

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:58am
Where did you do the Smaart tuning? If that is done well then you don't need to redo it again at every venue you may just require some minor EQ tweaks to tame an overly bright room for example and that can be done by ear.
tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 3:18pm
we did the tuning indoors.

i was thinking about resonsance frequencies caused by the venue. I can try that by ear but i m not experienced in this. so i thought a little technical support could help.

those eq tweaks could be done best on the input eq of my dsp?
Zik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:09pm
Grab a graphic eq, much easier than diving into your dsp. 

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Zik Zik wrote:

Grab a graphic eq, much easier than diving into your dsp. 

And way less precise and accurate.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 2:00am
Originally posted by tillin tillin wrote:

Well that isn't ideal, did the tuning include lowend EQ correction? Rooms have a hugh impact on lowend response. Ideally system alignment is done outdoors so that you know you're just correcting the system and not the room, then when you move into a room you know anything that stands out is caused by the room.

i was thinking about resonsance frequencies caused by the venue. I can try that by ear but i m not experienced in this. so i thought a little technical support could help.
It can help some but what you will eventually discover is that you can't really fix some room response issue with EQ at all, for example for the most common low frequency issues the only thing that has any effect is moving the speakers.

Sure if you have memory banks where you can store settings for rooms you may revisit, the key thing is to not overwrite your baseline settings.

So all that said if you don't see these things for yourself you will never learn, so I'd suggest you download a copy of REW and then get yourself a test mic and you're all set.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 9:09am
In a ideal world I would run Smaart at every venue / show. Time doesn't always allow this though.

A lot of FOH engineers I know have a soft bag and a DN6000 in it with a RTA mic in the car for quick reference.

A setting that sounds good in one venue could sound awful in the next.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 8:27am
hey thanks everybody for your help,

Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Well that isn't ideal, did the tuning include lowend EQ correction? Rooms have a hugh impact on lowend response. Ideally system alignment is done outdoors so that you know you're just correcting the system and not the room, then when you move into a room you know anything that stands out is caused by the room.

we know it wasn't ideal to do it indoors, but there was no need for eqing in the low section

Sure if you have memory banks where you can store settings for rooms you may revisit, the key thing is to not overwrite your baseline settings.

i have about 30 memory banks and of course i wont overwrite the baseline. i also got the basline settings as a file on my computer

So all that said if you don't see these things for yourself you will never learn, so I'd suggest you download a copy of REW and then get yourself a test mic and you're all set.

great software thanks for the hint. downloading done, tryin to get it running with my native instruments audio8

just to clear on my very first question: nobody of you would recomment a tablet + rta app to do get a quick and dirty overview of the sound?

best
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 8:56am
Normally I have a "basic" setting. I always start from there. Then measure at some points in the venue, and adjust when needed.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 2:21pm

just to clear on my very first question: nobody of you would recomment a tablet + rta app to do get a quick and dirty overview of the sound?

No.. because the microphone in those devices is junk.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 2:33pm

No.. because the microphone in those devices is junk.

Agreed
 Post Reply Post Reply