Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting lost, help with micro case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting lost, help with micro case
    Posted: 06 December 2017 at 9:28pm
Been trying to gather knowledge and see what I can learn but I’m getting lost down the the rabbit hole, the more I read the less I know, as is always the case.

I have a specfic idea that I’m trying to work out but just going round and round in circles.

I make diy modular synthesisers and think it would be cool to have a speaker setup incorporated into the case. I have two two size cases I make one 260mm x 177mm and the other 520mm x 260mm. Synths are usually mono but as they increase in size they do go stereo. The depth of the box is also a consideration and would only be 60mm max.

I’ve proberbly started off in the wrong direction with specifying the case volume first but this the limiting factor in the design. My idea is to have a speaker case that can be used on its own in mono for the smaller cases and double up with two to make a stereo speaker set. Sound quality is more important than getting really loud. I also understand the limitations on low bass frequencies.

But the more I read the more I’m confused and would really appreciate some help. 2”, 3” or 4” drivers, mid and tweeter or full range. I just don’t know. So I guess the sealed volume would be around the 1.6 lt mark, 16cm x 20cm x 5cm Does it matter that much that the case would be shallow and flat?
puzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 9:36pm
Forgot to mention that it will be battery powered, but that is covered quite well and I find it easier to research and understand. So I guess it needs to be low wattage
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:30pm
I would get a nice Tang Band or Visaton 2 or 3 inch full-range driver, put it on a small, carefully stuffed tapered quarter wave tube (TQWT, look it up) and power it from a TA2024 based chip amplifier. In the box sizes you have mentioned I wouldn't expect very much below 150-200Hz from it, though. But it ought to sound very nice otherwise.
It might well benefit from the inclusion of a DSP board to do some high-pass filtering and/or "psychoacoustic bass enhancement" type of arcane magick.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:34pm
How much spare room is there in the bottom of the synth case, could you put a small "subwoofer" in there - I mean something to cover 50-100Hz, eg the Tang-Band 4" sub driver in a 5 litre sealed box - even with a 10 watt amp it will allow you to at least *perceive* the lower notes of the synths
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:50pm
Edit: Didn't read post properly

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 December 2017 at 2:54pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply