Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Court black box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 4:57pm
Builder was somewhere Round west London/Slough/Windsor IIRC. Maybe Burnham Beaches????

There was/is a fella called Richard Bidgood or similar who had tons of it, toured with (and still does) Boney M all over Europe. Think he's doing stuff in Ascot now?

Oh, and they come up on the Free Party scene for much less money than those on eBay

Edited by nickyburnell - 08 December 2017 at 4:58pm
It's everything, not everythink!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

It could well have been Tony that built some of the court stuff I know be built boxes for many companys back in the early day including Martin audio.

The only box that I've seen from court made in mdf was the 1 x 15" reflex box (and full range box the went with it) from the later stuff, not saying they didn't do others just that I didn't see any and Stephen Court was a bit of a "devils in the detail" type of bloke I would have thought it odd if he were buying birch ply by the pack it would be daft chucking some mdf panels in to the equasion.
Saying that he always said the black box system was only ever loaded with JBL, but I know for a fact some were loaded with Fanes to certain customers.

The system in the Camden palace was the one to see/hear think it was ten 2 x 15's the width of the stage with four of the 4 way mid highs stacked either side of the stage, it was a very serious system at the time and the only thing that over shadowed it was when the MoS opened

I spent most of my miss spent youth in that venue stood in front of that court system. I believe it later got moved and used as side fills, replaced by JBL sound power - I may be wrong it was a lot my time ago!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 5:51pm
Sidefils lol bet that's painful as said above four of the bass cabs with a pair of the full mid highs is quite a formidable system even now, it's just a big workout to shift it all about.

Still love those big box pa systems though

Edited by colint - 08 December 2017 at 5:52pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 6:12pm
Thats interesting what boots-hifi has said.

I might be totally wrong but I'm sure I was told ages ago that the Court rig at Camden Palace was replaced by a system that included IK 1 x 18 folded horn subs with JBL components, no idea about the rest of the rig.

I just cannot imagine any replacement rig being anywhere near as good as the Court.

I think the reason that fantastic rigs in clubs sometimes get replaced like this, is to do with the tax allowance on capital assets tapering off after a few years, which makes it a good idea for the club to buy a new soundsystem so they can offset a much larger amount of money against tax.

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 6:30pm
The system we had in Mirage Windsor was four stacks of v18, w2x15 and the big wood flare tops.

Wembley Blines in the Bottom, Emmi in the W, Emmi in the mids and JBL top end. The Court Xover was 4 way and (to Richards annoyance) crossed to tops at 1.2k. Too low to put cheap comps in he said!  A ton of mis matched amps. Did 2k people with some old martin side fills.
DJ monitors were LE martin wedges on top of CV folded!  Ahh the days

Actually got me thinking about re-creating this (2 stacks) in the summer, so stop bigging it up or the prices will go up :)

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 7:09pm
Hey that sounds like a good idea.

I used two stacks, each with one v baffle 2 x 18, one 2 x 15 w bin, but used a couple of IK coax boxes (with an empty centre box to make a curve) for the mid tops.

The w bin was at the bottom of the stack, with the v baffle 2 x 18 above it.

We did it like this because the w bin was so heavy we didnt want to dead lift it.

I am ready to be "shot down in flames" by the experts on here for doing it this way, but having the 18"s on top of the w bin meant they were right at chest height which worked really well in a small club.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by <br><br>Oh, and they come up on the Free Party scene for much less money than those on eBay<br>
[/QUOTE

Oh, and they come up on the Free Party scene for much less money than those on eBay
[/QUOTE wrote:

Quoting myself to apologise, didn't see 3 x bins. Not bad @ 800

Quoting myself to apologise, didn't see 3 x bins. Not bad @ 800
Old king coles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:49pm
There's 2 on rig resell on fb for 200 unloaded
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:05pm
I know. Need to wait till Summer, or come to my senses.
Old king coles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:08pm
I've got 2 and tbh I love them above my scoops
SantuarySoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SantuarySoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 1:22am
Listing is mine - it's for four boxes.
Jesus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12