Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logic System IS8 Replacement Mid-Driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DP33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Logic System IS8 Replacement Mid-Driver
    Posted: 02 January 2018 at 2:33pm
Hi everyone, I hope you've all had a good new year. I'm looking for a little advice and hoping this is the right place...

I managed to pick up a pair of Logic System IS8 Speakers over the holiday period but upon testing them when i got back it sounds like they may need new woofers, they have a tapping/vibration noise when playing a track with a beat.

I've been looking at replacement woofers and have come across the P-Audio E8-150S or the
CELESTION TF0818.

Am i correct in thinking these maybe a suitable replacement? or is there others i can look at?

I would be happy to replace like for like but can't seem to find anywhere that sells parts.

Any advice/constructive criticism welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 4:07pm
A few months ago I needed a replacement 8" mid-bass driver.

I looked at several options, but in the end bought a P-Audio E8-150S from Blue Aran.

The fact that it had a 2" voice coil swayed it for me, as most other similarly priced options seemed to use a 1.5" voice coil.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 8:04pm
It depends how much you want to spend.  The P.Audio will probably do an ok job but the cabs would probably benefit from something a bit nicer.
Marios View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 9:12pm
Are you sure you can't recone them??
MGS Productions
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 12:21am
Can you show us a picture of the old drivers?  Are they the carbon fibre cone RCF units, same as in the RCF Monitor 8?  I know Logic used to use them.  I've got some older Logic 8" cabs.  One pair I replaced with B&C and the other with the now unfortunately discontinued Fane Crescendo 8MB (lovely driver).
DP33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DP33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

It depends how much you want to spend.  The P.Audio will probably do an ok job but the cabs would probably benefit from something a bit nicer.

I would say around the £100 mark would be fine, if i could pickup an original set of drivers that would be nice.

Originally posted by Marios Marios wrote:

Are you sure you can't recone them??

I have never re-coned a driver so wouldn't like to attempt it on this pair of speakers myself.

Can you show us a picture of the old drivers?  Are they the carbon fibre cone RCF units, same as in the RCF Monitor 8?  I know Logic used to use them.  I've got some older Logic 8" cabs.  One pair I replaced with B&C and the other with the now unfortunately discontinued Fane Crescendo 8MB (lovely driver).

I will get a few pictures up later today when i get home. I'm led to believe that these speakers were originally purchased around 2013 but that's not a given.

Thanks for your responses.
DP33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DP33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 3:50pm

So, I've took the front grills off to investigate a bit further what the noise may be and i think its pretty obvious from the pictures that the centre cap of the cones has come loose on both. (pictures below)

Now I’m no sure if these have been re-coned (badly) or weather they have maybe been stored somewhere a bit damp for this to happen? But since as the grills were off i decided to look what drivers were fitted.

Turns out they are Fane but they do not appear to have a model, the only identifiable labels on them are a No. 8 and I presume a Date? 09.06.05

Does anyone recognise what model these drivers are?

4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 4:03pm
They look a lot like these:

But then again, very hard to judge. So much parameters could be different that cannot be seen at first sight. Maybe its a fully custom OEM by Fane...
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 4:11pm
They look a lot like the Crescendo 8MB that Chris mentioned, could of course be a customised version though.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 4:49pm
If the drivers are otherwise working, it's a fairly simple job to repair the dust domes.
DP33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DP33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

They look a lot like these:
https://forum.speakerplans.com/fane-8_topic90231. - https://forum.speakerplans.com/fane-8_topic90231.html

But then again, very hard to judge. So much parameters could be different that cannot be seen at first sight. Maybe its a fully custom OEM by Fane...

Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

They look a lot like the Crescendo 8MB that Chris mentioned, could of course be a customised version though.

@4AC Yes they look very similar but after looking at @DMorison's post i think there the 8MB's as the specs seem to match.

If the drivers are otherwise working, it's a fairly simple job to repair the dust domes.

Drivers work fine, just vibrate/tap when the driver get moving. I will look for a Guide on how to re-glue the Centre dust cap. I'm sure there is a recommended glue/adhesive depending on they type of material the cone is made from.

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply