Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5mm H07 into Permaplug 4 way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

I don't really like the 16A to 13A four way at all though (4 way will be marked 'max supply 13A' so technically a PAT fail)

I stock the single 16 to single 13A adapters and these

http://www.rubberbox.co.uk/16A-supply/RUBSSP16413

I would suggest that providing that the socket is fused at the live entry point the assembly has adequate protection 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 2:12am
Agreed.

For aĺl practical purposes I'm sure the parts of the 4 way before the fuse holdèr will handle 16A. however, if the manufacturer specifically tells you a limit and then you exceed that, then you have to accept a certain liability. I'm sure this won't cause Colin any problems using this in his yard, but I would suggest it's not best practice for a dry hire business.

Cover your ass 'cos you never know when you might find yourself up against some rich claimant and their legal weasels.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 9:02pm
The 4way should have an integral 13a fuse to be compliant.
LOUDER THAN LOUD
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

I don't really like the 16A to 13A four way at all though (4 way will be marked 'max supply 13A' so technically a PAT fail) 

I stock the single 16 to single 13A adapters and these

http://www.rubberbox.co.uk/16A-supply/RUBSSP16413

Good to know the completely proper way to do it, thanks.

Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

The 4way should have an integral 13a fuse to be compliant.

It does.

In actual fact the 16a socket I'll be using is also fused at 13a so when used with that outlet the cable is perfectly safe.

Of course cables always end up getting used elsewhere so it's good to know how it really should be done.

If I understand imageoven's point correctly, technically you've got 13a rated parts in the 4 way before the fuse holder, so even with a fuse protecting the sockets it's still not quite "correct", as a fault within the 4 way before the fuse could overload those parts before tripping the 16a supply breaker. Pretty unlikely scenario but still.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 1:28pm
My point was not to do with how it will perform from a technical point of view or the safety of down stream fusing.

In the bottom of the permaplug four way plug bar there is writing molded into the plastic that states;

"This appliance must be connected to a suitable supply via a 13A plug fitted with 1.25mm2 or 1.5mm2 3 -core cable to BSEN50525."

To do any different is to use the equipment other than as intended by the manufacturer and so from a legal point of view you are at risk of accusations of negligence or dangerous practices.

I'm sure you could 'do it properly' by performing your own documented testing, write method statements and risk assesments, and sign it all off on your BS7909 completion certificate as a deviation each time you use it, but from my point of view its easier to just use purpose built adapters and distros or to follow any standards and manufacturers specification when building my own.  I appreciate this makes me a massive jobsworth, but  insurance companies love an excuse not to pay out.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12