Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

djm800 channel weirdness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: djm800 channel weirdness
    Posted: 15 January 2018 at 12:06pm
i have 2 old djm800s here with the same kinds of issues. they're old and crusty, but still usable so i'd like to fix them up a bit.

when in test mode, on some channels, all of the eq pots show the same weird behaviour. as in, channel 2, the high pot, the leds only start about 1/3 the way up, and end 2/3 the way up. that's all that lights up with full travel on the pot. i'd normally think that's showing me that the pot is bad, but when it's exacltly the same on high, mid and low eqs on the same channels, it must be something else.

there's a bit of bleed visible between channels too. changing eq on channel 2 shows small changes in the led meter for channel 3 etc.

anyone seen behaviour a bit like this before and maybe got a pointer towards what i might be looking at?

thanks if you have any suggestions.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 5:54pm
99% of weird problems on Pioneers are due to beer ingress, or possibly WKD. Or smoke fluid. Sometimes Ribena. Unlikely Guiness.

If there's any sign of stickiness inside then I would suspect a rotted track or board via.

If you want to go into it at a diagnostic level then you need the diagrams. The pots are multiplexed by analogue switches onto a common eq bus which eventually ends up at the A-D inputs on the main DSP chip.

Most of the time spent with the diagrams and oscilloscope will lead you eventually to something that could've been spotted in 2 minutes with a small magnifying glass..a corroded track, rusty connector or faulty FPC.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply