Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way of cnc rebating cabs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmx42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way of cnc rebating cabs?
    Posted: 16 January 2018 at 9:07pm
Hi all

I'm just writing a cnc program for a cab design and wandered what's considered the best way of rebating the internals into the side panels etc?

I was unsure of doing tabs on the internals with a slot around a mill deeper then the tab. Wouldn't have any build issues with this and can easily get over build tolerances from cnc.

Or to do full length rebates so the entire internal panel is rebated into side panel. This would be stronger but more precise so could create build issues from tolerance build up.

Wandering what others have done for this?

Thanks
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 12:22am
Normal practice is just to rebate the entire length of a panel.

Tips:
1) Check the thickness of the wood.  It might be nominal 18mm but could be half a mm or more either way.
2) Don't forget to allow space for glue.  You're probably going to want to rebate by at least 0.5mm more than the thickness of the wood.  Same goes for depth of rebate too.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 10:12am
I'd do full rebates, put some holes in for dowels for even easier alignment if you're feeling posh. Don't know what CNC you have access to but a vacuum table helps a lot for sheet work as you can trust your heights then. As Chris says, measure your sheet thickness first at multiple points (take an average of a few) as they are invariably at least half a mm off.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 10:22am
If your just working on the design without the sheets. Adding .5mm to std sheet thickness works well most the of time unless you get badly stored ply.
bmx42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmx42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 7:27pm
Great thanks everyone this has really helped :) yeah there pretty big machines with vacuum tables. Unfortunately I won't be able to take measurements of the sheet sizes as I'll have to make a special order with our works supplier for 18mm BB just before I want to run them through. Got a small window at work to use cnc while on down time so just trying to make the most of it. I've used a rabbet lock style join on the exterior panels

Edited by bmx42 - 17 January 2018 at 8:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply