Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xtro wood thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xtro wood thickness
    Posted: 17 January 2018 at 8:34am
The drawings say 15mm wood but im struggling to find such thickness its either 12 or 18mm?

can anyone help???
urban mischief
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by tom thumb tom thumb wrote:

The drawings say 15mm wood but im struggling to find such thickness its either 12 or 18mm?

can anyone help???

I would strongly recommend not building an xtro from 12mm. Having built xtros from less than perfect wood before i can tell you they resonate making the kick section sound wrong. We ended uo throwing them in the bin and built new ones out of 15mm birch.

18mm birch would be pretty good in theory, if you good at using cad or sketchup or what ever it wouldnt be that hard to edit the plan for 18mm. Just keep the horn paths the same dimentions and the rear chamber the same volume. Shold be pretty simple as none of the pannels are actually between the two horns. You can just add the 3mm extra wood to the cavitys.

You will likely have to do some routing to fit the mouth of the mid horn in as using 18mm will make that cavity a bit smaller.

18 will be a bit heavier but it will probs just go from a 2 man lift to a slighly more dificult 2 man lift.
tom thumb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 9:17am
Thanks mate, i have found 15mm birch ply but i dont want 22 sheets of it :)
urban mischief
 Post Reply Post Reply