Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Choice of battery for new cordless drill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choice of battery for new cordless drill
    Posted: 21 January 2018 at 8:31am
Hi guys

I’m looking a nice new cordless drill, 190 euros with 2 1.6. A batteries or 270 euros with 2 2A batteries.

I’m using the tool at home 99 percent of the time, the bloke said I don’t need the bigger batteries, their only advantage is longer running time?

What do you think

Also is their any issue with running my old 12v drills off the 12 v lead acid batteries off a burglar alarm? Gaffa taped on if need be ?

Cheers

Kev
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 8:41am
erm, you`d get a nice new bosch "blueline" 18v drill incl. 2x 4-5A batteries+case+charger for not much more, incl warranty etc..

Edited by bass*en*mass - 21 January 2018 at 8:42am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 9:26am
Buy a makita or festool and be done with it for the next 25 years.

I've had two makitas as hand-downs from professional carpenters/tradesmen. One of them has been with my parents for 15 years, the other one i've had five years. The older one was involved in lots of loudspeaker projects, 4 hd15, 5 X1's, furniture and other diy projects....
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 11:49am
Makita or Dewalt....Festool/Mafell are inna league of their own but so pricy. Festool routers aren't worth that dosh either.

Dewalt do 3.0ah lightweight batteries now, whereas the Makita small ones go up to 2.0ah I think. 2.0ah is more than fine for home use though.

I use a Makita XDT15...US import but got it cus it's smaller than most other impacts. Need some light batteries though as only ones I have are 5-6ah. I used to use the Dewalt but I didn't like the torque which feels excessive....so much easier to drive a screw in with a long impact bit with a driver that doesn't jerk in your hand.

My mate got an amazing deal on a Dewalt impact set from Screwfix recently....have a check!

Edited by KingGwarn - 21 January 2018 at 11:52am
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 12:14pm
Hi guys

It is a 18 v Bosch drill, I think I have the numbers wrong on the battery, I’m juts asking does higher ampere hours affect run time or torque basically.

The old drills are Makita they are brilliant and have built many a speaker box and other stuff, I’m going to stop faffing and buy some copy batteries of amazon

Thanks
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 1:45pm
I use non-Makita batteries...no difference....you can even get non-Mak batteries that have led battery indicators too!

Higher ampere only affects the run time...not the torque
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 2:03pm
Milwaukee.

In tests beats every other cordless drill driver on the market.

I own a Makita and love it, I should have got a Milwaukee.

And twin battery packs is a must with a fast charger.

The Milwaukee won't let you don't and by the time you don't need to use it anymore you'll be handing it down as an heirloom
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 3:55pm
I've got two Bosch blue drill drivers, a 14.4 and 18v, both lithium, each with two of the smaller 1.3/2Ah packs. No problems running them in the workshop as a fully charged pack easily lasts an hour of continuous use and recharging only takes about 30 minutes. 
After five years the 14.4v packs are definitely lasting less time, but two years on the 18v packs doesn't seem to have affected them much.
I guess if you were out on a site doing harder work and had to shin up and down scaffolding to get to your charger, you might want the bigger packs, but otherwise I think the smaller ones are just right.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 7:16pm
Cheers guys.

Appreciate the advice.

Kev
 Post Reply Post Reply